Subject: Re: Spam: Re: [ws-caf] policy ai

Green, Alastair J. wrote:

>I took the phrase "reasoning about the relationships" to be of wider
>significance -- similar language has been used in your and Greg's
>discourse on the (alleged) need to know what the endpoints are up to,
>and thence to the idea of an ACID-only protocol, which I think is a
>rather stunted beast.
>
>The fact that the declarative use of the transaction context on receipt
>by a bean is a private matter is one example of the ability to be
>largely ignorant of what transactions means to the interlocutor, but
>still be able to make use of them.
>
>On the narrow point, it seems that any way of marking an endpoint as
>being capable of receiving a context is better than none.
>
>In that respect I think that fixing on something that actually works is
>better than trying to second-guess the next three twists and turns on
>the secondary roads running through WS-Land.
>
>Is there a way of doing this which will work with current WSDL and not
>just 2.0?

Well, assuming we were to adopt WS-Addressing, one use for the MetaData
bucket is policy (at least it was prior to WS-Addressing going into W3C,
but has since been changed). Check out Steve's article:
http://www.iona.com/hyplan/vinoski/pdfs/IEEE-WS-Addressing_Metadata.pdf

I believe that tying policies to the EPR is better than the WSDL. It is
like comparing transactionality via IOR attribute "bit" versus
transactionality via inheritence in the OTS.

Mark.

--
Mark Little
Chief Architect