Subject: SGIP feedback on WS-Calendar

We're continuing to get significant negative feedback at the management level about the fit between WS-Calendar, in the shape it's being finalized, and the perceived technical needs of the SGIP standards set into which it's being offered.

The issues, which sometimes have degenerated to impolite correspondence, seem to swirl mostly around end-time and the randomization flag.  Though, really, my guess is that this is a subset of the larger set of issues recently JIRA'd by Aaron Snyder, one of the SGIP technical champions for this topic area.  It's possible that not all of the latter JIRA tickets are actionable, but -- whatever their technical merit -- SGIP staff's impression that they are not being addressed will be a significant obstacle to approval of the standard by the SGIP.

I'd like to attend your meeting scheduled for this Friday and gain a better understanding of whether the disconnect here is deliberate.  The OASIS TC unqualifiedly has the right to adopt whatever final work product your voting majority chooses.  If it's going to be immediately unacceptable to the utilities who are an intended user, though, that would be enough of a disappointment to the various SGIP stakeholders (FERC, NIST and the White House, in the US), that we'd like to see that coming well in advance, and understand why.

Regards  Jamie Clark

James Bryce Clark, General Counsel
http://www.oasis-open.org/who/staff.php#clark
www.identi.ca/JamieXML