Subject: RE: [ws-rx] i021 proposal

Well said Gil. +1

Marc Goodner
Technical Diplomat
Microsoft Corporation
Tel: (425) 703-1903
Blog: http://spaces.msn.com/mrgoodner/

-----Original Message-----
From: Gilbert Pilz [mailto:Gilbert.Pilz@bea.com]
Sent: Wednesday, February 15, 2006 3:46 PM
To: Patil, Sanjay; Ashok Malhotra; Yalcinalp, Umit; Paul Fremantle
Cc: wsrx

I can take a swipe at the "fundamental question". First the answer is
"yes". The reason for this is that WS-RM Policy is basically about
annotating WSDL. WSDL is about describing the contract between a service
consumer and a service provider. Part of describing that contract deals
with describing the output of an operation. WSDL routinely asserts all
sorts of requirements on the service consumer; I don't see why asserting
that the output of an operation should have WS-RM semantics applied
should be a special case.

If you are looking for a greater degree of consumer/provider
independence than I think the best thing would be to have your consumer
specify the callback interface in its own WSDL. It is then free to apply
WS-RM Policy (or not) as it sees fit. The service making the async
callback would, of course, be expected to understand and comply with any
policies attached to the callback interface.

- gp