Subject: RE: [ws-rx] [i089] a revised proposal

I believe MSFT has the todo to go off and write down how anon ReplyTo is supposed to work.  In the last interop call we had there were quite a few questions raised about how things should work and we need those addressed.  I believe some of them were:

How does the offered seq get shutdown?  ie. how does the RMD send a terminate back to the RMS?
How can the RMD close the offered sequence if it needs to?
What should happen when a late arriving (already ack'd) message arrives at the RMD? What should the response be?
Can there be two sockets connected to the RMD at the same time and both sending the same message?  What's the response to in each case?
If request msg #2 is acked (back at the RMS) but response msg #2 isn't acked (back at the RMD) how can the RMD resend it?  I think its possible that the RMS can get to a point where it received response msg #2 but the ack for it was lost.  So, RMS thinks all is well, but RMD doesn't.  Unless the RMS resends a message (but why would it when it thinks all is well), then the RMD is stuck.  Can't resend and can't close the sequence.
What specific changes to the spec(s) do we ned to make to clear up these issues?

If we end up keeping Offer around just for the anon replyTo case (which I believe you said is the main reason for keeping it), but we can't explain how anon ReplyTo is supposed to work without hacking up the protocol, I'm not sure its worth keeping it - esp. not when there are other solutions around that do allow these scenarios to work without messing up RM.

thanks,
-Doug

"Marc Goodner" <mgoodner@microsoft.com>

02/21/2006 01:12 PM

Doug Davis/Raleigh/IBM@IBMUS, <ws-rx@lists.oasis-open.org>
RE: [ws-rx] [i089] a revised proposal

Only time? I think the scenario is pretty clear so what are the issues with it you see that would prevent it from working?

If you are suggesting that you want to do interop on it first then are you likewise suggesting that this issue (and I would infer i090) should be deferred from being closed until then?

Marc Goodner
Technical Diplomat
Microsoft Corporation
Tel: (425) 703-1903