Subject: Re: [ws-rx] issue i021 requirements

Anish,

I don't necessarily disagree with these requirements.

However, as I indicated in my previous notes, and during the discussion on
last week's call, It isn't clear to me that every RM enabled endpoint will have
the capacity to apply the RM semantics on a message-by-message basis.

There are certain situations, such as a gateway, that may not have access to the
WSDL/policy to determine which messages should be included in an RM
Sequence. Further more, even if the WSDL/policy WERE available, there may be
considerable overhead involved in having to parse the messages (in the
gateway scenario) to determine if they match those messages which have
been annotated as needing to be sent reliably.

In such cases where a source endpoint is just on/off for all messages that
pass though, I think that the corresponding destination endpoint should NOT
reject messages that are sent reliably yet are not indicated as being required
to be sent reliably in the WSDL/policy.

Thus, adding to my proposed addendum to Sanjay's proposal:

If an RM policy assertion is attached to any of:

then an RM policy assertion, specifying wsp:Optional=true MUST be attached to the corresponding wsdl:binding or wsdl:port, indicating that the endpoint supports WS-RM. Any messages, regardless of whether they have an attached Message Policy Subject RM policy assertion, MAY be sent to that endpoint using WS-RM. Additionally, the receiving endpoint MUST NOT reject any message belonging to a Sequence, simply because there was no Message Policy Subject RM policy assertion attached to that message.

I would offer the following explanation/rationale:

There might be certain RM implementations that are incapable of applying RM QoS semantics on a per-message basis. In order
to ensure the broadest interoperability, when an endpoint decorates its WSDL with RM policy assertions using Message Policy Subject,
it must also be prepared to accept that all messages sent to that endpoint might be sent within the context of an RM Sequence, regardless
of whether the corresponding wsdl:input, wsdl:output or wsdl:fault had an attached RM policy assertion.

Rather than turn away messages that were unnecessarily sent with RM semantics, the receiving endpoint described by the WSDL
must accept these messages.

By attaching an RM policy assertion that specifies wsp:Optional="true" to the corresponding endpoint that has attached RM policy
assertions at the Message Policy Subject level, the endpoint is describing the above constraint in policy.

STSM, Software Group Standards Strategy
email: chrisfer@us.ibm.com
blog: http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/blogs/dw_blog.jspa?blog=440
phone: +1 508 377 9295