Subject: Re: [ws-rx] i089 - a revisted proposal

DougB,
Answering your notes slightly out of order...
- the latest proposal is the one pointed to by proposal #4:  http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/ws-rx/200604/msg00129.html
- our proposal allows for the server to still use the anon backchannel if it is still available - that is no different than normal anon replyTo.  What is different is when the backchannel is not available.  This can happen under two cases - one, the socket is closed prematurely or two, RM is being used to deliver the response and therefore unacked resends must use a backchannel (since the replyTo was the polling URI).  So, there should be no additional performance hit in cases where the network connection stays up.  It case it wasn't clear, the polling URI is meant to match the semantics of anon when things go well.

-Doug

Doug Bunting <Doug.Bunting@Sun.COM>
Sent by: Doug.Bunting@Sun.COM

05/01/2006 03:14 PM

Doug Davis/Raleigh/IBM@IBMUS
cc
ws-rx@lists.oasis-open.org
Subject
Re: [ws-rx] i089 - a revisted proposal

Doug,

I have two questions on this most recent proposal:

   * Since the threads continue on your earlier proposal, I'm wondering
     which one you consider current?  That is, did this one take over
     though many of us are responding to earlier versions?
   * I don't understand how this proposal addresses one of the
     important issues I have heard discussed in this TC.  Whether or
     not the problem is addressed in this TC, there might be an issue
     with GetQuoteResponse (to use your example) content that was
     expected on the anonymous URI back-channel but was not available.
     The original GetQuote may be acknowledged without completing the
     higher-level GetQuote / GetQuoteResponse MEP.  If I understand
     your proposal correctly, you are suggesting the GetQuoteResponse
     would be used instead of the anonymous URI back-channel, not after
     a specific back-channel is no longer available?  Is that correct?
     If so, it seems very inefficient because it requires an additional
     Request / Response exchange for every higher-level response,
     including those responses almost-always available in time for the
     anonymous URI back-channel.

thanx,
   doug