Subject: RE: [ws-rx] RE: Groups - oasis - New ballot "Straw poll for issue PR001"

Bob,

You seem to be fine with the idea of allowing ALL attendees of a
conf-call to participate in a straw poll. So are you saying that even
for straw polls conducted during conf-calls, we should check for the
possibility of different results based on the voting status of the
attendees and then decide whether accepting the result was reasonable or
not! I hope not.

You may be right about considering motivation for attending a call in
deciding elibility for voting on a straw poll in that call. But what
would be a criteria for deciding voting eligibility for electronic
straw-polls? Limiting the ballot to voting membership only doesn't seem
right, since there are no such rules for straw polls. I thought that by
becoming voting member in the past, a TC member has demonstrated certain
level of interest in this TC's business and should be allowed to
participate in the straw-poll. If they really don't care about the
issue, they shouldn't vote. OTOH, should the ballot be made accessible
to other non-voting members (with no history of voting status), or even
Observers? May be yes. That is actually why I sent out an email
describing the criteria applied for voting elibility, and I did not hear
any complains from the members excluded from voting.

If the TC wanted, we could spend a lot of time on today's call in
slicing and dicing the straw-poll results and perhaps conduct another
round of straw poll, etc. I wouldn't recommend that. Instead, I think we
should just finish the straw-poll and see if it gives us some clear
direction ... it's just a STRAW-POLL!

-- Sanjay