Subject: RE: [ws-sx] Issue 71: Guidance on Policy Application

Hal,

I've only been able to take a short look at this and will try to respond
more fully later this week.

Taking your paragraph of unanswered questions;

> Is a consumer required to use SP?

For a service that uses WS-SP, a consumer of that service needs to
understand WS-SP in order to know how to correctly construct messages. I
don't know whether that counts as 'using SP' or not.

> Is SP suitable for expressing a Consumer's policy?

I believe that WS-SP describes things from the point of view of the
service. However, if a consumer did have policy, I would view it as
policy that described the policies the consumer is willing to use when
talking to services. Such a policy could be used to perform matching
against policy published by services.

> Does an SP represent an enforceable access control policy?

I don't believe so. Why would it?

> Can a Web Service reject messages which conform to its policy?

Yes. For a variety of reasons. For example, a service whose policy
specifies X509 certs might legitimately reject messages that conform to
that policy because the cert has expired or been revoked.

Looking at your specific spec text, I'm not sure I want to add
statements 1-4, esp. given they contain RFC2119 'keywords'. I'm
especially concerned about statement 2.

Gudge