Subject: Revised proposal for i070 - Clarify relationship between extensibility model and policy

I suggest we modify Prateek's proposal and put this up front, in
section 2.2, "Nested policy assertions" after line 223. (Note 3.1.3
may be removed once WS-Policy progresses)

I propose we add the following text (incorporating Prateek's proposal):

-- startProposal--
The W3C WS-Policy submission states in section 4.4:

Two policy assertions are compatible

1. if they have the same type and

2. If either assertion contains a nested policy expression, the two
assertions are compatible if they both have a nested policy
expression and the alternative in the nested policy expression of one
is compatible with the alternative in the nested policy expression of
the other.

Thus an assertion with a nested policy element cannot match the same
assertion without a nested policy element. This should be kept in
mind when using assertions that have been extended with additional
assertions that are meant to be placed within a nested policy
element. For example, use of an extension assertion that indicates
the presence or absence of an optional field within a security token
may result in policy intersection failure.

A policy expresses important distinguishing criteria, thus indicating
that they are requirements to be met in a policy compatibility test,
limiting a successful policy match. Expressing a nested policy
statement indicates a concern about that level of detail, with that
specific  case requiring a more particular policy match. Allowing a
match to an implicit statement could be risky, due to possible
changes to the implicit choices from evolution or XML extensibility
points. To be able to match more generally without relying on
implicit statements,  a policy might list all legal alternatives.
This may be eased by using wsp:PolicyReference statements referencing
common policy definitions.  Alternatively a nested policy might not
be used, anticipating only matching other similarly simple policy
assertions.

--endProposal--

In effect, once some parties start specifying nested policy
statements, all others will need to list all possibilities to enable
matching, a negative consequence of the rule. (Is this a denial of
service attack?)

Perhaps this committee should create a set of common PolicyReference
policy assertions and associated URIs, to enable interoperability.

regards, Frederick

Frederick Hirsch
Nokia