Subject: RE: RE: [ws-sx] RE: Issue 90: Description of Strict Formatting seems wrong for EncryptedKey

I don't agree with this solution.

1) It seems wrong to have two different sets of rules for what strict
formatting requires.

2) I don't even think "for WSS 1.0" and "for WSS 1.1" are even well
defined. Most messages are legal under both. Are we supposed to scan the
message for the 1.1 namespace? I don't think even that is sufficient,
since I believe there are cases where you can follow explicitly 1.1
processing rules even though the 1.1 namespace does not appear.

How about a compromise where we say:

a) If an encrypted key does not contain a reference list, it is
considered a token and follows the rules for tokens.

b) if an encrypted key contains a reference list, it indicates a
encryption step and is interchangeable with a top level reference list.

---

WRT to having interoped this style of formatting, the point is we are
not allowing or prohibiting a particular style, we are defining what
should be allowed as "strict". I presume the purpose of "Strict" is to
minimize code complexity and/or processing speed. I suggest that your
double rule proposal does neither.

Hal

Formatting
> seems wrong for EncryptedKey
>
> While the syntax and processing described in Chapter 9 did not change,
> xenc:EncryptedKey did become a first class token in WSS 1.1. Hence the
> processing rules for WSS 1.1 WRT xenc:EncryptedKey match those for any
> other symmetric key bearing token. Hence xenc:ReferenceList appears as
> child of wsse:Security.
>
> FWIW - Microsoft has done WSS 1.1 interop with several partners using
this
> style.
>
> Gudge

xenc:ReferenceList