Subject: Re: [ws-tx] Unfinished editorial business re wsp:Optional

Alastair Green wrote:
> Hi Monica,
>
> We definitely agreed to remove the sentence you quote, which also
> includes the words "SHOULD NOT", and Andy has shown this deletion
> correctly in the latest WD. I recognize that that sentence also
> contained the word "MAY".
>
> I think we all overlooked the fact that there was a sentence in the
> preamble to section 5 (explaining the overall intent), which also
> includes these words, so my suggestion is aimed at tidying that up in
> line with the main change that you refer to.
>
> My recollection is that we voted to support the semantics MUST and MAY
> (Mark's motion to get agreement on design, before we hardened
> implementation).
>
> It was then agreed that the optional syntax amounted to MAY: the
> server was declaring capability to accept a context and subordinate
> processsing thereto, but was offering the client the alternative of
> following the MUST or deciding what to do itself ("behavior
> undefined"). If it decided what to do itself then it could decide to
> send a context (same effect as following MUST) or not to send one.
> This is MAY because the choice is in the client's hands.
>
> So, I believe that saying "MUST or MAY" is right, but I could be
> missing a subtlety here.
> An alternative approach would be to zap the preamble altogether
Independent of whether the MAY flow concept is allowed to stay in
document or not,
I just wanted to point out that MAY occurs in two other places than the
preamble.

It also occurs in Section 5.4 "Assertion Example" on lines 314 and 322
in latest working draft[1]

-Joe

[1] link:
http://www.oasis-open.org/apps/org/workgroup/ws-tx/download.php/18557/wstx-wsat-1.1-spec-wd-06.pdf