Subject: RE: [ws-tx] Mixed Outcome scenario

Sorry not to get onto this sooner.

On looking at it more closely, I think 1.12 already has the
characteristics we wanted to demonstrate. It doesn't have to be a single
message sent to one PA - the same message sent to multiple Pas has the
same features:

This assumes, in 1.12, that PA1 and PA2 are sent exactly the same
message, including all elements of the context. The Register messages
for PS1 and PS2 will then only differ in fields that are opaque to the
coordinator. Although IA/CS will know there are two participants, it
doesn't know which is considered to be PS1 and which PS2.  Hence the
need for an identification that is carried in the Register and
understood by CS/IA.

With these assumptions, 1.12 is modelling an auction or invitation to
tender scenario. A common message and context is "broadcast" to
potential partners who respond with register and are ready to deliver.
The BA protocol is used to signal who wins. (it doesn't need to be a
single 'winner' of course - maybe everyone who meets some criterion is
accepted)

(if 1.12 is interpreted as sending different contexts to PA1 and PA2,
then it is really demonstrating nested atomic activities)

The proposal for one PA with two PS's would be the same thing, where the
same party offered more than one response

Note that although there has to be an identification carried in Register
and understood by CS/IA, it doesn't have to be specified outside this
application. But the ability to carry it DOES have to be supported by
the WS-BA implemenation and made accessible via its (non-standard) API.
(c.f. you steer with a wheel, a tiller or a joystick but you must be
able to steer).

In this instance, it would work for the Register to carry a field that
had values PS1 or PS2, and there doesn't need to be anything carried in
the application message. That would apply in reality if the difference
between the offered responses could be summarised in a shortish element.

In a more general case, there may be a whole lot of information
travelling in the application response - in which case a (sufficiently)
unique field from the application response is sent on the Register.
Again, the applications on each side need to know what it signifies and
the WS-BA implementations need to be able carry it identifiably and
transparently.

Peter