wsbpel-implement message

Subject: RE: [wsbpel-implement] categories of faults

Hello Kristofer,

yes I agree completely. Catching a communication error (after some time and efford depending on the QOS of the binding) should be possible in a portable (i.e. well defined) way, without using catch all. And it also should be possible to tell, if it was side effect free (i.e. eighter we throw this exception only, if it was guranteed that no transmission happened (like you suggested), or we add an attribute delivered=no vs. delivered=possibly.

Mit freundlichen Grüßen
Bernd Eckenfels
Chief Architect
--
SEEBURGER AG - Edisonstr.1 , D-75015 Bretten, Germany
Fax: +49 (0)7252 96-2400 - Phone: +49 (0)7252 96-1256
mailto:b.eckenfels@seeburger.de - http://www.seeburger.de

-----Original Message-----
From: Kristofer Agren [mailto:kagren@pakalert.com]
Sent: Wednesday, March 17, 2004 11:49 PM
To: 'Trickovic, Ivana'
Cc: 'bpel implementation'

Ivana,

While I think that propagating protocol/communication level faults in
general is a can of worms and a job for the different implementations to
handle, having a standard "serviceUnreachable" fault would be very helpful
in many cases. I am sure there are a number of scenarios where it would be
perfectly acceptable for a business process to consciously handle such a
fault, such as simply selecting another end-point or returning a specific
fault to a caller.

The "serviceUnreachable" fault should only be thrown if it was not possible
to contact the service, it is 100% certain that no work was done on the
remote end, and there will be no further attempts by the engine to deliver
the request.

Any thoughts?

Kristofer