Subject: Re: [wsbpel] RE: Requirements and Scope Documents?

John Evdemon wrote:

>We're working with an established spec.  I'm (once again) not sure why
>we need to write a requirements document for an established spec.

We do have an established spec and it is a waste of time to
reverse-engineer the requirements that led to this spec just for the
purpose of having them written down.

But, the TC consists of around a hundred members who have joined in
order to contribute to the development of the spec. We can't expect
people to participate and contribute if they do not all have an
understanding of what the spec is about. The recent discussion about
execution vs modeling vs authoring stems from that simple fact.

Should I spend my employeer's time contributing ideas to improve the
usefulness of the spec to address XML authoring if that was never a
requirement? Should Edwin contribute an example for using coordination
protocols if that is not a requirement? And so forth.

The authors made a conscious decision to target the spec to solve a
particular set of requirements. And given that we are working on an
established spec, I believe that for the most part we have well defined
requirements. Some of them are implicit and well understood. Other are
not. If the TC is to make any forward progress it need to consider
clearly specifying some of these requirements so they are understood to
the larger group.

arkin