Subject: RE: [wsbpel] implicite links of the runtime engine (was: Implicit <sequence> macro)

Bi-simulation is of interest whenever you want to substitute one process by
another, e.g. when you want to change partners, or if you compose process
models in a modular fashion.  Then, "equivalence" is important in order to
avoid impact on your own process or the other moduls.

But it is my assessment too, that simulation is more important short term
than bi-simulation:  For example, being able to check automatically that an
"internal" process "implements" a "public" process is of importance.  This
is the Walmart example mentioned in another mail.  "Implementation" here
means in a nutshell being able to send and consume messages in the same
possible orders than the public process (this is why many people call this
a "view" on the internal process, i.e. the externally observable behavior
of the internal process).

"Composability" too is of importance, but not only for abstract processes
but for executable processes too. This will especially support creating
process models in a modular fashion.

As a side comment:  Algorithmic support for the above is worked on in the
research community for so-called "well-formed cyclic" process models, i.e.
something that is basically a DAG with loops.  Another indicator that
arbitrary cycles should be avoided - they are intractable. And we should
protect our customers to hurt themselves  ;-)

Regards,
Frank

Prof. Dr. Frank Leymann, Distinguished Engineer
IBM Software Group
Member, IBM Academy of Technology

Phone 1:  +49-7031-16 39 98
Phone 2:  +49-7056-96 50 67