Subject: Re: [wsbpel] Issue - 53 - Should include Business Transaction Management(BTM) programming constructs compatible with WS-T, BTP and WS-TXM

Hi Monica,

I am finally getting to my vacation now that these issues and our
submission are finalized, so you very likely this is my last message to
WS-BPEL till after Labor Day :-) .

The question of a super-context is a complicated one. It could be a
generic way of representing context information (a railway carriage with
multiple occupants), or it could have a higher meaning, that the
included contexts are related (i.e. that there is some domain common to
the utilization of e.g. transactions and security).

Our view is that we should stick with a simple, minimal approach to
dealing with BTM in BPEL. Until the actual requirements of other
context-reliant services are clearly stated, there is a strong danger of
having a debate on super-context which is a) abstract, and b) probably
competitive with other initiatives. I believe that WS-C's multi-protocol
capable context fits the bill and is straightforward, but any agreed,
suitable context holder would do the trick..

There is a lurking background issue, obviously, of how the WS-C, WS-T,
BTP and WS-CAF initiatives all come to some table to do with
standardizing BTM for web services -- myself, I would like to see OASIS
create a "WS-BT" technical committee and get on with it. I know that the
end-users we work with have a very low appetite for standards
smorgasbord in this area.

Our proposed approach and related submission document are deliberately
designed to fit a "universal" API on top of a fluid standardization
picture -- feasible because there is so much common functional ground
between the business transaction protocol specs already out there, which
explicitly or implicitly share a participant-promise/coordinator-decide
two-phase model. I think that this type of approach will allow at least
the 80 or 90 per cent case to be readily addressed, which is a good
starting point.

BTM is an important addition to the BPM picture, and I think we need to
start simple and straightforward and avoid unwonted multiplicity.

Ever a one to avoid controversy, off to my holidays ...

Alastair