Subject: Re: [wsbpel] Q: process category?

Satish Thatte wrote:

See below

[Ten-Hove]  A process category may fall mostly into the "deployment" bucket, and thus be ultra vires. Alternatively, perhaps it would be useful to give each process type a globally unique identifier.

 [Satish Thatte] It is easy to manufacture a unique QName from the targetNamespace and NCName of the process -- one may claim that this is in fact implied by the usual semantics of targetNamespaces.

[Ten-Hove] This technique would work, but it is a convention, not a guaranteed property of process definitions. Unless one has complete control of tools, deployment and run-time, a convention cannot be used to guarantee this uniqueness property.

As an alternative to an explicit uuid attribute, we may try adding wording requiring the convention you suggest. Something like:
The name and targetNamespace of the process must be globally unique. If an existing process is modified, the name and/or tns must be modified to ensure that the new version of the process has a unique identity, such that it cannot be confused for the old.
I don't particularly like this -- it sounds a lot like a hack, and makes it sound like we never heard of UUIDs! But personal tastes aside,  does this sound reasonable?

Cheers,
-Ron