Subject: Re: [wsbpel] suppressJoinFailure default value

Hi Jim,

The notion of propagating attribute values to nested children is already
out of the scope of what one can express in a schema, so it doesn't really
make a big difference what the default is (except for the <process>
element) as long as the propagation requirement is clear. I guess that your
point is that it is unnecessary to set a default value for any other
activities to get the correct behavior. It is also true that the change
could help avoid misunderstandings, so I'd vote for making that change if
an issue is opened.

Paco

                      jim@parasoft.com
                      (Jim Clune)              To:       <wsbpel@lists.oasis-open.org>
                                               cc:
                      09/26/2003 12:33         Subject:  [wsbpel] suppressJoinFailure default value
                      PM

The XML schema in the appendix of the BPEL 1.1 spec declares a default
value of "no" for the suppressJoinFailure attribute in tActivity and
tProcess
complexType declarations. This makes sense for tProcess, as it establishes
a default to be used until overridden. For tActivity, however, I think that
specifying a default value contradicts this statement in section 12.5.2:

<quote>
A value of "yes" for [suppressJoinFailure] has the effect of suppressing
the
bpws:joinFailure fault for the activity and all nested activities, except
where the effect is overridden by using the suppressJoinFailure attribute
with
a value of "no" in a nested activity.
</quote>

By having the schema specify a default value for suppressJoinFailure for
each activity element, nested activities always reset the value of
suppressJoinFailure instead of inheriting it.

If I am reading this wrong, perhaps someone can clarify.
Otherwise, I propose, in the schema's tActivity declaration, replacing
this:
<attribute name="suppressJoinFailure" type="bpws:tBoolean" default="no"/>
with this:
<attribute name="suppressJoinFailure" type="bpws:tBoolean" use="optional"/>

Jim Clune
Parasoft Corporation          email: jim.clune@parasoft.com
101 E. Huntington Ave.      voice: (626) 256-3680
Monrovia, CA.  91016           fax  : (626) 305-9048

the OASIS TC), go to
http://www.oasis-open.org/apps/org/workgroup/wsbpel/members/leave_workgroup.php
.