Subject: Issue - 5 - suspend/resume - is it just an implementation question ?

Arising from discussion on the issues group call, where we sought to
move some of the low numbered issues forward:

Should suspending a bpel process be considered a question for an
implementation and not part of the language.

The ability to wait for a long time for something to happen can be
accomodated by pick, handlers and the like. Suspend would be more a
matter of stopping the clock (probably as a result of something
untoward) and therefore seems like it belongs at implementation level
(controlled from admin console/management interface) rather than
specified in the process definition.

However, though this seemed plausible, are there implications for
use-cases ? (i.e. use-cases that would want suspend/resume capability).

One possible solution would be to just reassign the target document of
the issue to "Use cases" or "Use cases/implmentation group" (yes, I know
they're not documents).

Peter

Peter Furniss
Chief Scientist, Choreology Ltd

   Cohesions 1.0 (TM)
   Business transaction management software for application coordination

web: http://www.choreology.com
email:  peter.furniss@choreology.com
phone:  +44 870 739 0066  <-- new, from 4 August 2003
mobile: +44 7951 536168