Subject: Re: [wsbpel] usage of <partner> in BPEL?

Hi Alex,

I don't see partners as a deployment detail, even though they (like
everything else in a BPEL process) would need to be resolved at deployment
time. If anything, partner belongs to a higher level of abstraction than
partner links, since the intent was to capture business relationships
between partner links which are not reflected on how port types (nor
bindings) are factored. It certainly doesn't belong at the lower layer of
WSDL bindings.

However, I think that it is a legitimate question whether partner adds
sufficient value to BPEL, particularly since there is no single way we can
point at for using that information. My own opinion would be to keep it
because it allows embedding relevant business constraints into the process
definition.

Paco

                      Alex Yiu
                      <alex.yiu@oracle.        To:       wsbpel@lists.oasis-open.org
                      com>                     cc:       Alex Yiu <alex.yiu@oracle.com>
                                               Subject:  [wsbpel] usage of <partner> in BPEL?
                      06/28/2004 08:19
                      PM

Hi all,

We define <partnerLink> and <partner> in BPEL.
The usage of <partnerLink> is very clear in BPEL. (e.g. invoke relies on
partnerLink).

However, the usage of <partner> is not clear.
Is it more like a deployment related information?
Should it be a part of WSDL binding?
There are not other BPEL construct make uses of <partner> declaration.

I have done a very informal poll to a number of vendors last week at
BPEL F2F in SF.
It seems to me that no particular vendor is actively making use of
<partner>

Any further thoughts?

the OASIS TC), go to
http://www.oasis-open.org/apps/org/workgroup/wsbpel/members/leave_workgroup.php