Subject: [no subject]

I do not share your assessment that Web services in general encourage
patterns which make deadlocks as likely as intra-process communication
does.

Kind Regards
DK

             "Yaron Y. Goland"
             <ygoland@bea.com>
             18.09.2004 00:01          Dieter Koenig1/Germany/IBM@IBMDE
                                                                        cc
                                       wsbpeltc
             Please respond to         <wsbpel@lists.oasis-open.org>
                  ygoland                                          Subject
                                       Re: [wsbpel] Issue - 52 - Proposal
                                       For Vote

The problem with this approach is that the copied EPR contains very
specific information about how communication is supposed to occur. For
example it could say things like "Send the message via SOAP over UDP
using WS-Security with a Kerberos Key and make sure to route it through
our high security firewall."

If a process was interested in testing its communication path then
copying the EPR and having the message be transmitted following the
EPR's instructions makes sense. But if a process really just wanted to
deliver a message to itself requiring that message to go through all the
hoops outlined in the EPR isn't appropriate.

This kind of misunderstanding is typical when one tries to implement a
feature as a side effect rather than declaratively. That is, the goal of
the code you give below is to allow a process to talk to itself but
rather than just stating that outright (which is what partnerIsSelf
does) the effect is achieved through a side effect of copying the EPR.
But that then introduces the complexities I describe above.

I also don't believe that IPC is anymore deadlock prone than business
process web services are. If we don't like IPC maybe we should also get
rid of Web Services? :)

                         Yaron

Dieter Koenig1 wrote:

> If one *really* chooses to model a process like this, it can be done
> already:
>    assign-copy from partnerLink "myself-inbound" (myRole) to
> "myself-outbound" (partnerRole)
>    invoke (use partnerLink "myself-outbound" and a correlation set to get
> the same instance)
>    receive (use partnerLink "myself-inbound" and a correlation set to get
> the same instance)
>
> In addition, imo, we should not introduce a dedicated construct which
> encourages intra-process-instance communication patterns that are asking
> for deadlocks.
>
> Kind Regards
> DK
>

>              "Yaron Y. Goland"