Subject: The slipperiness of optimistic vs pessimistic static analysis

We had a lengthy discussion in the context of issue 9 of optimistic vs pessimistic analysis at the F2F.  I wanted to show an example that illustrates how slippery even the apparently simple definition of optimistic analysis is -- the definition being that optimistic analysis rejects only process definitions that are *guaranteed* to run into an undefined situation such as uninitialized variable use or multiple conflicting receives.  Consider the fragment below

<scope declares variables v1, v2 and v3 ..>
       <invoke inputVariable=v1 outputVariable=v3 ..>
       use variable v2
</scope>

Suppose this fragment passes static type checks because v2 and v3 are the same type, and the use of v3 in the invoke was a typo -- hit a neighboring key by mistake.  Should this fail optimistic analysis?  The answer would appear to be yes but is actually no according to the definition above because the invoke may receive a fault response and hence provide an execution path that does not run into the uninitialized variable use problem.  However I believe most "reasonable" people would agree that this fragment should be rejected regardless.  Even more deviously, a scope may be cancelled by an external fault and thus nothing can ever be rejected inside such a scope because the scope may be interrupted before reaching the problematic point.

We can try to address all such concerns, but in my opinion, any notion that we are going to have bug-for-bug portability is not workable.  For instance even thread scheduling policies can affect whether an undefined situation happens or not.  Thus I would be in favor of not trying to mandate the degree of static analysis in every last detail because (A) I think it would be very hard to do, and (B) serves little real purpose.

Satish