Subject: Re: [wsbpel] Issue 135 - Proposal to vote

Hi,

(1)
I guess this is more like a "completionHandler" discussion, not exactly Issue 135.  :-)
Assaf, thanks for your insight. I can see your point.
It would be much easier for people to program a completionHandler, if we define the completionHandler is invoked AFTER the termination of all nested concurrent activities. Then, I guess it is safe to say the BPEL engine should not try to terminate an already terminated activity.

(2)
Anyhow, for Issue 135, I believe we need to say (at least) for external termination/cancellation : The second or subsequent attempt to forcibly terminate a scope will be ignored. The terminationHandler (if still running) invoked by the first attempt will be allowed to continue.  The terminationHandler will NOT be invoked more than once.

(3)
One more catch / clarification is: do we want to add "terminationHandler" to the process level also, besides scope level? I tend to say yes.

Assaf Arkin wrote:
Satish Thatte wrote:

It is not necessarily true that a scope will be forced to terminate only once.  If we do premature completion with a completion handler then a fault in the completion handler may cause an attempt to forcibly terminate a scope more than once.

I'm having a problem understanding this sentence.

Do you mean that completion of a scope entails forceful termination of that scope, and so it can be terminated multiple times, once from the complete activity and once from the fault? My understanding was that completion of a scope is separate from termination, completion of a scope may entail termination of nested scopes.

Or, could the completion handler be invoked in the scope while nested scopes are still performing some work (e.g. their termination handlers are still in progress)? It would be hard to define a completion handler for a scope not knowing that its invocation occurs after all other work in the scope has completed.

Assaf