Subject: Re: [wsbpel] Issue - 166 - Does atomicity in assign imply variable locking?

Hello Dieter:

> .. there is nothing in the definition of ACID
> transactions that tells you how to implement them...

> Atomicity requires that either all of the assign, or
> none of the assign succeeded. Why does the specification
> have to state whether a read/write lock is used to
> guarantee atomicity? This sounds like an implementation
> detail to me. I think Section 14.3 is on the right track
> and nothing is wrong with it.

Does this sound like I am arguing about how ACID
transactions are implemented?

It seems to me that there are multiple issues being
proposed in Issue 166. To recap, I am addressing:

Q: Does atomicity in assign imply variable locking?
My answer: This is irrelevant to the BPEL application
           programmer.

[this seems to be the proposal. 166 is not clear]

Proposal:  Use of isolation{} or implicit scope
           serialization to guarantee consistant
           variable update.

My answer: I don't believe either of these strategies
           guarantee a consistant variable state
           update. I gave an example.

Cheers,
Andrew