Subject: Re: [wsbpel] Issue - 166 - Does atomicity in assign imply variablelocking?

You assert that variable locking is irrelevant to the BPEL programming
model. I don't understand how this assertion can be defended given the
example in
<http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/wsbpel/200409/msg00361.html>. If
there is no variable locking then it is possible for the assign
statements in the example in the linked message, lets call them A and B,
to execute as follows:

Assign A - Read in counter value
Assign B - Read in counter value
Assign A - Increment counter value and write
Assign B - Increment counter value and write

What the programmer was looking for was an atomic increment but that
isn't what they ended up with. If assigns implied isolation semantics
then the previous execution path would be illegal and the programmer
would have gotten the results they wanted.

If we don't specify that assign requires isolation semantics then any
time a variable that is used across flows is manipulated for increment
or append purposes (both of which I would claim are very common
scenarios) then the manipulation MUST occur inside of a serialized scope
or the previous scenario becomes possible.

Do we really want every single cross-flow variable append/increment
operation to require the use of an explicit serialized scope?

	Thanks,

		Yaron