Subject: Re: [wsbpel] Issue - 188 - Dead Path Elimination and Join Conditions

Every time I read the following paragraph, my feeling is reinforced.
The only time that I would expect a join condition to evaluate to true
(last sentence) is when an incoming link is true.  Yes, I am reading
more into those words than exist.  Yet I still say that this is
unclear.  The title of the section is about paths, which would make no
sense otherwise.  However, I raised this point initially to gauge
reactions, not to change opinions.  If the opinions are against me, I
can accept that.  I guess we'll find out at the call.

Danny

12.5.2. Dead-Path-Elimination (DPE)

In cases where the control flow is largely defined by networks of links,
the normal
interpretation of a false join condition for activity A is that A should
not be performed,
rather than that a fault has occurred. Moreover, there is a need to
propagate the
consequences of this decision by assigning a negative status to the
outgoing links for A.
WS-BPEL makes it easy to express these semantics by using an attribute
suppressJoinFailure on an activity. A value of "yes" for this attribute
has the effect of
suppressing the bpws:joinFailure fault for the activity and all nested
activities, except
where the effect is overridden by using the suppressJoinFailure
attribute with a value
of "no" in a nested activity. Suppressing the bpws:joinFailure is
equivalent to the fault
being logically caught by a special default handler attached to an
implicit scope that
immediately encloses just the activity with the join condition. The
default handler
behavior is an empty activity, that is, the handler suppresses the fault
and does nothing
about it. However, because the activity with the join condition was not
performed, its
outgoing links are automatically assigned a negative status according to
the rules of Link
Semantics. Thus within an activity with the value of the
suppressJoinFailure attribute
set to "yes", the semantics of a join condition that evaluates to false
are to skip the
associated activity and to set the status of all outgoing links from
that activity to negative.
This is called dead-pathelimination because in a graph-like
interpretation of networks of
links with transition conditions, these semantics have the effect of
propagating negative
link status transitively along entire paths formed by consecutive links
until a join
condition is reached that evaluates to true.