Subject: Re: [wsbpel] Issue 107 - Proposal to Vote (pending 82)

See comments inline with the discussions in the F2F in Walldorf.

> Khalaf (updated prior to fixes): Here it is again, without changelog.
> This is a proposal to vote, pending 82 passing with same concepts.
> Expanding on Peter's existing 107 proposal (details, syntax,
> examples), assuming
> concepts in 82 (base+profiles) :
> 15.1 Language extensions for Abstract Processes
>
> The language extensions consist of opaque tokens which are used as
> explicit 'placeholders' for
> missing details. Note that "opaque" is not a new semantically
> meaningful construct but a
> syntactic device for indicating incompleteness. As such, "opaque"
> entities have no semantics
> of their own.
>
> There are three kinds of opaque placeholders: expressions, activities,
> and attributes. A usage profile may restrict the kinds of opaque
> tokens allowed at its discretion.
> For example, a profile could specify that it allows only opaque
> activities, but not opaque
> expressions and attributes, or a profile could specify that it allows
> all attributes to be opaque
> except the “partnerLink” attribute. However, a usage profile may not
> expand it above what is
> allowed by the "common base". For example, a profile cannot specify
> that it allows <faultHandler>
> elements to be opaque.
>

> -Under the 'common base' section
> ---------------------------------
>
> Three types of opaque tokens are allowed in abstract processes:
> activities, expressions, and attributes. The functions of these opaque
> placeholders are described below, with examples:
>
> Part A - Opaque activities:
>
> An opaque activity explicitly is a placeholder for exactly one
> executable BPEL activity (not counting
> any activities that could be nested within that single executable
> activity) whose behavior is not relevant
> to the recipient/user of the abstract process. An opaque activity is a
> BPEL activity and therefore has
> the same standard elements and attributes that all BPEL activities
> have (see spec section 11.1 and
> 11.2). It has the following form:
>
> <opaqueActivity standard-attributes>
> standard-elements
> </opaqueActivity>

[mm1 comment] Choice may be not to expose this behavior - whether it is
relevant or not may be a meta-semantic
question, which we have chosen not to address. This brings into question
if opaque=executable BPEL activity always.

> One examples of using opaque activities includes creating process
> templates (marking the points of normative extension in a
> process). Another is when creating an abstract process from a known
> executable process and wanting to hide an activity that is a join
> point for several links. If that activity, on the other hand, had just
> been an unlinked activity in a 'sequence' it could have just been omitted
> from the resulting abstract process.

[mm1 comment]
Change from:
One examples of using opaque activities includes creating process
templates (marking the points of normative extension in a process).

Change to:
One examples of using opaque activities could be the creation of a
process template that marks the points of extension in a process.

[reason] Don't quite understand the use of template and extension in the
context you stated it.

> At first glance, it seems that this could instead be done using
> <empty>. The difference is that <empty> explicitly says "nothing
> happens here," whereas <opaqueActivity> is really saying "something
> happens here, but it's hidden on purpose".

[mm1 comment] The hidden purpose may result in no activity so this could
be somewhat contradictory (or misconstrued).

Change from:
The difference is that <empty> explicitly says "nothing happens here,"
whereas <opaqueActivity> is really saying "something happens here, but
it's hidden on purpose".

Change to:
The difference is that <empty> explicitly says "nothing happens here,"
whereas <opaqueActivity> is really saying "something happens here, but
the choice is to hide it".

> A.1 Opacity of activities allowed in the base:
> Opaque activities are allowed.
>
> PART B - Opaque expressions:
>
> Opaque BPEL expressions shall be allowed exclusively for the use of
> abstract processes. An opaque
> expression explicitly hides a corresponding executable BPEL expression.

[mm1 comment] Did we not identify that the relationship may be other
than 1=1? How can we say then it is only one executable expression?

> An example usage of an opaque expression is that of copying a hidden
> value into a known variable.
> Opaque assignment can be used to express non-determinism: the obvious
> case being a process
> that needs to show a decision point with alternative outcomes without
> specifying how the decision
> is reached. In this case the expressions that constrain each branch
> may need to be left unspecified,
> but it may also be convenient to make a specific value or quantity
> such as a price threshold
> unspecified, so that explicitly specified conditions relative to the
> threshold become
> non-deterministic as a result of the threshold value being unknown.

[mm1 comment] Nothing here says that the outcome always raises to a
relevant state in the executable. Is there any need to specify that
there is some visible result for an opaque expression? Otherwise, using
your example, where is the decision point visible if at all?