Subject: FW: [wsdm] [UPlat] Policy Scoping and Clarification for UPlat

Forwarding to the list on behalf of Andreas who is temporarily unable to
post to the list directly...

William

-----Original Message-----
From: Andreas Dharmawan [mailto:andreas@westbridgetech.com]
Sent: Tuesday, October 14, 2003 3:01 PM
To: 'Andreas Dharmawan'; 'Sedukhin, Igor S'; zulah_eckert@hp.com;
vbp@hp.com; kreger@us.ibm.com; stokese@us.ibm.com; jdecarlo@mitre.org
Cc: wsdm@lists.oasis-open.org

Team:

This is my homework for [UPlat] upcoming conference call.

Please provide me with comments and suggestions.

Thanks

Policy (in the context of MUWS and MOWS):
- is a course of action, guiding principle, or procedure
  considered expedient, prudent, or advantageous for a given
  condition or event.
- describes a broad range of service requirements,
  preferences, and capabilities.
- provides a set of requirements to a manageable resources
  in a specific context.

There are various policies that can be specified to a manageable
resources (Webservice functional and manageability
endpoints) via MUWS:

- Authentication Policies:
    The policies describe authentication requirements for the
    manageable resources (Webservice endpoints) and list
    actions that should be taken when an unauthenticated user
    is detected.

    Example:
    1. For Partner A, the request should be accompanied by
       a digital signature. In case a valid digital signature
       with proper service requestor information is not found:
       a. do not process the request
       b. log the incident to Partner A authentication
          failure report
       c. after more than 10 authentication failures from
          Partner A, send an alert to the security
          administration

    2. For internal client, process the request if only if
       the username / password credential is provided and
       authenticated against the company directory. In case
       of unauthenticated user is detected:
       a. do not process the request
       b. log the incident to global internal authentication
          failure report
       c. after 3 consecutive authentication failures, disable
          the user and notify the security administrator

- Access Control Policies:
    The policies describe the authorization requirements for
    manageable resource (Webservice endpoints) and list the
    actions that should be taken when an unauthorized user is
    detected.

    Example: <to be added as soon as we are all in agreement
              with the break down of policy types>

- Privacy Policies:
    The policies specify the visibility and readability of
    different parts of a webservice message in respect to
    the corresponding recipients. The policies also list the
    actions that needs to be taken when the privacy requirements
    are not met.

    Example: <to be added as soon as we are all in agreement
              with the break down of policy types>

- Non-repudiation Policies:
    The policies specify how the validity of the senders can
    be verified and the message has not been altered in transit.
    The policies also list the actions to be taken when the
    non-repudiation requirements are not met.

    Example: <to be added as soon as we are all in agreement
              with the break down of policy types>

- Service Level Agreement Policies:
    The policies specify the commitment made by the service
    providers (which are manageable resources) to the
    service requestors (which can also be manageable resources).

    The policies specify the service level requirements
    defined by a service requestor.

    The policies list actions to be taken against the service
    requestors or service providers when the Service Level
    Agreement is not met.

    Example: <to be added as soon as we are all in agreement
              with the break down of policy types>

- Quality of Service Policies:
    the Policies describe the minimum level the service
    performance, reliability, availability of the manageable
    resources.

    The policies list actions to be taken against the service
    providers when the QoS is not met.

    Example: <to be added as soon as we are all in agreement
              with the break down of policy types>

- Routing Policies:
    The policies specify the final or intermediary destinations
    of a particular webservice message based on a set of
    conditions such as message size, time of the day, specific
    content, arithmetic calculation of items in the message, etc.

    The policies list actions to be taken if a message could
    not be routed as specified.

    Example: <to be added as soon as we are all in agreement
              with the break down of policy types>

- Content Inspection Policies:
    The policies describe the data be found in the webservice
    message. The policy list the actions to be taken when
    a certain data (or type of data) found in the message.

    Example: <to be added as soon as we are all in agreement
              with the break down of policy types>

- Auditing
    The policies specify how to record a set of information for
    a manageable resource or messages that go through the
    manageable resource.

    Example: <to be added as soon as we are all in agreement
              with the break down of policy types>

Policy Enforcement Point:
-------------------------
- A program that enforces various set of policies on (associated)
  various manageable resources.

Policy Decision Point:
----------------------
- A program or a repository that stores and calculates various
  (overlapping) policies that can be applied to various
  (associated) manageable resources.

Why they are important to MUWS:
- MUWS needs to specify how a WS resource manager manages the
  Webservice resources using many-different-available-WS
  standards in the most consistent, efficient, and compatible
  ways.

  After all MUWS is designed to be the mechanism to deliver
  various policies to various manageable resources.