Subject: [Uplat] Addressing using wsdl:service element

Fulfilling an action item to write-up a way to do addressing using the WSDL
service element...

William

There is a proposal in the W3C WS-Desc working group to use the WSDL-defined
service element to serialize a reference to a Web service. The current
decision of the WS-Desc working group is to "add a paragraph in the spec
describing that <wsdl:service> can show up on the wire as a service
reference.  Primer will have some examples". The basis for the examples will
be a proposal by Roberto Chinnici available at
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-ws-desc/2003Oct/att-0345/counterprop
osal.html.

This is in the scope of the WSDL 2.0 work, but it doesn't take too much
imagination to come up with an equivalent proposal for WSDL 1.1. This would
provide a way for WSDM to get support for referencing Web services (and
endpoints).

In WSDL 1.1 a service element contains a set (0 to unbounded) of ports
elements, each referring to binding element by its QName. The extensibility
model for the service element allows additional elements to be added as long
as they are not in the WSDL namespace. This prevents a WSDL import statement
from being there. But it allows WSDM to define an extension to provide more
information about the endpoint (such as type) or a link to the WSDL
description of the endpoint. So that in case the QName of the binding is not
already know to the recipient of the reference, the recipient can find out
its definition. We also have the choice to use the wsdl:service element
itself or to create a type that extends the wsdl:serviceType type.

I addition, we could also decide to add a restriction that a service element
used for reference purposes can only contain one endpoint, as a way to use
this mechanism to reference endpoints instead of services.