[Date Prev] | [Thread Prev] | [Thread Next] | [Date Next] -- [Date Index] | [Thread Index] | [List Home]
Subject: Submission of WSDM 1.0 for Member Vote
In accordance with OASIS Technical Committee Process for Member Approval (http://www.oasis-open.org/committees/process.php#standards_approval), the WSDM TC recommends that the Committee Draft of WSDM 1.0 be made an OASIS Standard. WSDM TC has approved a resolution to move the specification forward; therefore, the chair of the WSDM TC submits the following items to OASIS TC Administration:
1. A formal specification that is a valid member of its type, together with appropriate documentation for the specification, both of which must be written using approved OASIS templates is publicly available at at: http://www.oasis-open.org/committees/wsdm. The specific pointers are:
Zip file containing all specifications and documents is at: http://www.oasis-open.org/apps/org/workgroup/wsdm/download.php/10971/wsdm-1.0.zip
MUWS 1.0 Part 1 Specification:
http://www.oasis-open.org/apps/org/workgroup/wsdm/download.php/10947/cd-wsdm-muws-part1-1.0.pdf (eventually: http://docs.oasis-open.org/wsdm/2004/12/muws/cd-wsdm-muws-part1-1.0.pdf)
MUWS 1.0 Part 2 Specification: http://docs.oasis-open.org/wsdm/2004/12/muws/cd-wsdm-muws-part2-1.0.pdf
MOWS 1.0 Specification: http://docs.oasis-open.org/wsdm/2004/12/mows/cd-wsdm-mows-1.0.pdf
XML Schema and WSDL documents are available at:
MUWS 1.0 Part 1 Schema: http://www.oasis-open.org/apps/org/workgroup/wsdm/download.php/10948/wsdm-muws-part1.xsd (eventually: http://docs.oasis-open.org/wsdm/2004/12/muws/wsdm-muws-part1.xsd)
MUWS 1.0 Schema: http://docs.oasis-open.org/wsdm/2004/12/muws/wsdm-pbm.xsd
MUWS 1.0 Part 2 Schema: http://docs.oasis-open.org/wsdm/2004/12/muws/wsdm-muws-part2.xsd
MUWS 1.0 Part 2 WSDL: http://docs.oasis-open.org/wsdm/2004/12/muws/wsdm-muws-part2.wsdl
MUWS 1.0 Part 2 Events Schema: http://docs.oasis-open.org/wsdm/2004/12/muws/wsdm-muws-part2-events.xml
MOWS 1.0 Schema: http://docs.oasis-open.org/wsdm/2004/12/mows/wsdm-mows.xsd
MOWS 1.0 WSDL: http://docs.oasis-open.org/wsdm/2004/12/mows/wsdm-mows.wsdl MOWS 1.0 Schema: http://docs.oasis-open.org/wsdm/2004/12/mows/wsdm-mows-events.xml
2. A clear English-language summary of the specification;
Web Services Distributed Management: Management Using Web Services (MUWS) 1.0 defines how to represent and access the manageability interfaces of resources as Web services. It is the foundation of enabling management applications to be built using Web services and allows resources to be managed by many managers with one set of instrumentation. This specification provides interoperable, base manageability for monitoring and control managers using Web services. WSDM MUWS 1.0 has been defined in two specifications, MUWS Part 1, which defines the base architectural concepts and required components, and MUWS Part 2 which defines standard composeable support for manageability capabilities.
The MUWS 1.0 specifications define how to express the following manageability capabilities: identity, metrics, resource state, status, configuration, name correlation, and relationships. It defines standard descriptive techniques for each of these including required base properties, operations, and notifications, as well as required metadata for each of these to aid introspection. MUWS 1.0 also defines standard management event formats to enhance interoperability and correlateability. It defines how to provide secure management. In addition MUWS 1.0 defines recommendations and interfaces for advertising and discovering resources.
Web Services Distributed Management: Management Of Web Services (MOWS) 1.0 specification defines the how to manage Web services as resources and how to describe and access that manageability using MUWS. It provides mechanisms and methodologies that enable manageable Web services applications to interoperate across enterprise and organizational boundaries. The MOWS specification allows integration of management with Web services-based business applications and processes.
3. A statement regarding the relationship of this specification to similar work of other OASIS TCs or other standards developing organizations is posted here:
WSDM is related to the following OASIS TCs:
The MUWS and MOWS standards are based
upon other OASIS standards that are currently under development within
OASIS. Most importantly, the WSDM TC has defined manageable resources
as resources in a Web Services Resource Framework (WSRF) based context.
Thus, the WSDM specification will rely on the following OASIS standards
(some of which will be under development at the time WSDM 1.0 is produced).
WDSM 2.0 will depend on the Standard version of these specifications.
· WS-Resource Framework TC: WS-ResourceProperties (link: http://docs.oasis-open.org/wsrf/2004/06/wsrf-WS-ResourceProperties-1.2-draft-04.pdf)
· WS-Resource Framework TC: WS-ResourceLifetime (link: http://docs.oasis-open.org/wsrf/2004/06/wsrf-WS-ResourceLifetime-1.2-draft-03.pdf)
· WS-Resource Framework TC: WS-ServiceGroup (link: http://docs.oasis-open.org/wsrf/2004/06/wsrf-WS-ServiceGroup-1.2-draft-02.pdf)
· WS-Notifications TC: Base Notification (link: http://docs.oasis-open.org/wsn/2004/06/wsn-WS-BaseNotification-1.2-draft-03.pdf)
· WS-Notifications TC: Topics (link: http://docs.oasis-open.org/wsn/2004/06/wsn-WS-Topics-1.2-draft-01.pdf)
The DCML member section is creating an XML representation, an IT information model, and a protocol for accessing that XML document of the snapshot of the IT environment. There may be some overlap between the mission of DCML and WSDM with regard to the representation of IT resources in XML Schema and WSDL and the definition of a protocol to access that schema/WSDL.
WSDM is related to the following external standards work:
WS-I: WSDM has a requirement that WSDM
implementation may be WS-I Basic Profile compliant.
W3C: The WSDM TC's work has been influence by the W3C Web Service Architecture and Web Service Description working groups. WSDM is also dependent on the following W3C recommendations:
· XML (link: http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-xml)
· XML Schema (link: http://www.w3.org/TR/xmlschema-1)
· SOAP (link: http://www.w3.org/TR/2000/NOTE-SOAP-20000508/)
· WSDL (link: http://www.w3.org/TR/wsdl)
WSDM is dependent on the following W3C notes which are currently being developed into standards in W3C Work Groups:
· WS-Addressing (link: http://www.w3.org/Submission/2004/SUBM-ws-addressing-20040810/)
Global Grid Forum: The WSDM TC has been working to ensure that the needs of the Global Grid Forum (GGF), Open Grid Services Architecture Working Group are incorporated in the developing standard. The CMM work group has announced intent to use the WSDM specifications to express and access the manageability of Grid resources.
DMTF: The WSDM TC has established a liaison with the DMTF (link to DMTF Work Register: http://www.oasis-open.org/apps/org/workgroup/wsdm/download.php/5414/WSDM-DMTFWorkRegister_v2.doc) to ensure that the models produced by these groups can be represented using the WSDM standards. The DMTF W BEM Interoperability Protocol Work Group WS-CIM Subgroup is currently chartered to develop Web services protocol for accessing CIM modeled resources. Using the WSDM specification for this is currently under consideration by the WS-CIM subgroup.
4. Certification by at least three OASIS member organizations that they are successfully using the specification consistently with the OASIS IPR Policy are posted here:
1. Computer Associates: (Link: http://www.oasis-open.org/apps/org/workgroup/wsdm/email/archives/200501/msg00009.html)
I certify that Computer Associates successfully uses OASIS WSDM specificationsin the Web Services Management product - Unicenter WSDM http://www3.ca.com/Solutions/Product.asp?ID=4714
--Igor Sedukhin.. (email@example.com)
2. Hewlett-Packard: (Link: http://www.oasis-open.org/apps/org/workgroup/wsdm/email/archives/200501/msg00012.html)
HP is successfully using the WSDM specification
consistently with the OASIS IPR Policy as demonstrated by the Apache Web
Services Muse incubation project ( http://incubator.apache.org/muse/
http://incubator.apache.org/muse/ ) and in HP's SOA Manager (
3. International Business Machines: (Link: http://www.oasis-open.org/apps/org/workgroup/wsdm/email/archives/200501/msg00017.html)
IBM Corporation certifies that they are successfully using the WSDM 1.0 specification consistently with the OASIS IPR Policy.
4. Amberpoint, Inc. (Link: http://www.oasis-open.org/apps/org/workgroup/wsdm/email/archives/200501/msg00010.html)
I certify that AmberPoint is successfully
using OASIS WSDM specifications.
--Fred Carter / AmberPoint, Inc.
5. TIBCO Software, Inc. (Link: http://www.oasis-open.org/apps/org/workgroup/wsdm/email/archives/200501/msg00020.html)
I certify that TIBCO Software is successfully using OASIS WSDM 1.0 specifications in the TIBCO Enterprise Management Advisor product.
TIBCO Software Inc. - 3303 Hillview Avenue - Palo Alto - CA 94304 firstname.lastname@example.org - voice: 650 846 5781
account of each of the comments/issues raised during the public review
period, along with its resolution;
One comment was raised during the public review period. (link to details: http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/tc-announce/200412/msg00004.html. The comment identified a mistake in the XML Schema. The mistake was fixed in the Committee Draft and Schemas that have been submitted for OASIS Member Vote.
6. An account of and results of the voting to approve the approve the specification as a Committee Draft;
Committee Draft voting record for ballot running from January 6, 2005 1pm ET to January 13, 2005 1:15 ET with 93% voting and approval.
|Voter||Company||Vote||Reference Document and/or Comment|
||BEA Systems, Inc.||Yes||
||BEA Systems, Inc.||Yes||
||Cisco Systems, Inc.||Yes||
7. An account of or pointer to votes and comments received in any earlier attempts to standardize substantially the same specification, together with the originating TC's response to each comment;
No earlier attempt has been made to standardize the same specification.
8. A pointer to the publicly visible comments archive for the originating TC;
The archive for WDSM TC email is at: http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/wsdm/.
The archive for WSDM TC public comment list email is at: http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/wsdm-comment/
9. A statement from the chair of the TC certifying that all members of the TC have been provided with a copy of the OASIS IPR Policy; and
I, Heather Kreger, the chair of the WDSM TC have provided all members of the WDSM TC a copy of the OASIS IPR Policy via email. This email has been archived at: Link: http://www.oasis-open.org/apps/org/workgroup/wsdm/email/archives/200415/msg00076.html)
10. Optionally, a pointer to any minority reports submitted by one or more TC members who did not vote in favor of approving the Committee Draft, or certification by the chair that no minority reports exist.
I certify that there were no minority reports who did not vote in favor of approving the Committee Draft.
This documentation is included in this file:
Please contact me with any questions or issues at my cell phone next week as I will be travelling.
STSM, Web Services Lead Architect for SWG Emerging Technologies
Author of "Java and JMX: Building Manageable Systems"
919-543-3211 (t/l 441) cell:919-496-9572