Subject: Re: [wsdm] RE: Stable Specifications and Interoperability

I think everyone agrees that it is ok for a draft to depend on other "working drafts"; Specifically, there is no issue with the WSDM 1.0 CD depending on "working drafts" of other specifications. The issue is whether the WSDM CD, with such dependencies, is suitable for promotion to the level of OASIS international specification.

 - Phil

Heather Kreger wrote:

Martin,
In the course of testing WSDM, of course some of the WS-RF and WS-N specifications will be exercised.

We did ask the TC which version was appropriate to depend on and they recommended the first 'stable draft'
from the TC.

The status sections of the WS-RF document include the following statement:

"This document and associated schema are published by this TC as "working drafts" and
represent the starting point for our standardization process. It is possible that they may
change significantly during this process, but should nonetheless provide a stable
reference for discussion and early adopters' implementations."

and WS-Notification specifications contain this in the status section:

"On 17 June 2004, this document was approved by the OASIS WS-Notification Technical
Committee for publication so that users of the specification have a stable draft version
available until the TC publishes a Committee Draft. Send comments to the editor."

We believe that it was the intent of the TCs to provide a stable draft for others to use and reference.
Committee Drafts were not (and are not) available, but a stable draft from the TC was.
We believe that this was responsible behaviour on our part, balancing independent timelines and
reuse of specifications available to us.

In the practical matter of interop, the versions of WS-RF and WS-N we are using are pretty close
to those that were interop tested before submission to OASIS. We are not tied to the interop testing
for the coming CDs, since we are not dependent on the CDs.

Heather Kreger
STSM, Web Services Lead Architect for SWG Emerging Technologies
Author of "Java and JMX: Building Manageable Systems"
kreger@us.ibm.com
919-543-3211 (t/l 441) cell:919-496-9572

Inactive hide details for "Martin Chapman" <martin.chapman@oracle.com>"Martin Chapman" <martin.chapman@oracle.com>

Heather Kreger/Raleigh/IBM@IBMUS

cc

<wsdm@lists.oasis-open.org>

Subject

[wsdm] RE: Stable Specifications and Interoperability

Heather,

As part of wsdm, are you building interop tests for the ws-rf and ws-n specs on which you depend?
I know WS-RF have an interop effort underway, but it is far from complete at this stage. The same goes for WS-N.
I did not mean to imply that you point to the latest draft dynamically, but even pointing to a previous working draft is not really sensible,
since such drafts have no standing whatsoever; at the very least the dependency should be on  a Committee Draft.

Martin.