wsn message

Subject: RE: [wsn] [Namespace URIs] Proposal to split the existing namespa ces

Hi Sanjay:
I don't believe the consequences of the decision are very great here.  It is just a slight shift in URI usage.  In the original WSDL and XSD, for simplicity we chose to have one namespace per spec.  One less namespace URI to generate a xmlns:xxx for.  Nothing more. As it turns out, some tools actually had trouble dealing with the fact that a xsd:schema within a wsdl:types element had the same @targetNamespace as an xsd:schema in an xsd file.

With regards to "closely related" namespaces. No tool (that I am aware) really takes advantage of that affinity. Besides with the date-encoded namespace URIs suggested in my proposal, the affinity should still be suggested based on the spec name and date portions of the URI.

With regards to namespace resolvability, many namespace URIs are in fact resolvable.  XML Schema never forced the resolvability property for reasons that are beyond my understanding.  I have talked to some XSD wizards and came away convinced that the decision XSD designers made was to satisfy a corner case, and was not terribly convincing.

sgg

++++++++
Steve Graham
(919)254-0615 (T/L 444)