wsn message

Subject: WSN and WSRF

This is issue 2.2 in the issues list.

The WSN documents currently contain statements of the form "A [WSN component] MUST support the required message exchanges defined in the WS-ResourceProperties specification ...".  While there is certainly a prima facie case for presenting entities with state and life cycles in a framework specifically designed for such entities, there are also several concerns with this approach.  A natural alternative is simply to describe what message exchanges the components must support, drop any normative reference to WS-RF, and optionally add non-normative language describing how these operations map to WS-RF concepts.

At this point, I would like to reiterate the arguments I'm aware of for this separation.  I'm not sure what is the best process to use here, but I would like to get some idea of what level of agreement or disagreement there is with each of these arguments, and also what degree of importance they may be thought to have.

Pragmatic Arguments

  • Entry barrier for WSN.  The lighter weight WSN is, the more likely it is to be adopted.  Pulling in WS-RF appears to add significantly to this weight, particularly at the BaseNT level.  WS-RF is not just a set of message exchanges, but a full conceptual model which appears orthogonal to the concept of notification.  While this may be mostly a problem of perception, perceptions do influence adoption.
  • Barrier to reconciliation with WS-Eventing.  WS-E is completely independent of WS-RF, but covers largely the same concepts as WS-BaseNT.  Take WS-RF out of the equation and the reconciliation becomes much more straightforward.  WS-E also provides a simple proof-by-example that Notification as a concept does not depend on WS-RF.

Structural arguments

  • Coupling. With WSN bound to WS-RF, potential changes to WS-RF become potential changes to WSN.  Similarly, any semantic subtleties in WS-RF are brought over to WSN, whether they directly apply to the Notification pattern or not.
  • Circularity.  WS-RF intends to use WSN as a mechanism for signaling state changes in resources, while WSN in turn uses WS-RF to describe subscriptions etc.
  • Separation of concerns.  Notification can be used in contexts outside WS-RF, and so should independent of it.
  • Action orientation vs. resource orientation.  This may be a more philosophical point, but it can be argued that "renew subscription" is a more direct and accurate analysis than "set the lifetime of the subscription resource."  There may be even sharper examples.
  • Inappropriate generality.  WS-RF is evidently aimed at a generic resource whose properties are not necessarily known beforehand and may even change dynamically.  WSN is a standard, whose properties are by definition fixed.  It seems inappropriate to say "get me the value of the endpoint  property of this subscription resource" as opposed to just "get the endpoint of this subscription."