wsn message

Subject: Re: [wsn] WSN and WSRF

Hi David:
I respect that you have concerns here.  But I fail to see the benefit of "duplicating" functionality offered by WS-RF.  Having duplicate capabilities makes WSN harder to implement.

It seems we have 3 approaches here:
a) status quo with respect to WS-N reusing functionality hardened by WS-RF
b) decouple the specs by repeating the normative message exchanges from WS-RF in WS-N
c) duplicate the functionality required to retrieve properties of various enties in WS-N and renew subscriptions.

Clearly a) seems to offer the best net benefits of reuse, parsimony of definition etc.  We know this approach works, we had an interop fest in mid-April.

With b), my question is, why duplicate the description of the required functionality?  This seems to make joint co-iteration of WSRF and WSN harder to do.  As it stands now, the statement allows WSRF to evolve without having to repeatedly update the normative message exchange statements in WSN.  Now, what are we looking at here, a couple of examples:
WS-BaseN's NotificationProducer MUST support GetResourceProperty and MAY support the other WS-ResourceProperties operations.
Similarly, SubscriptionManager has the same dependency on Ws-ResourceProperties and includes message exchanges for the destruction (softstate and explicit destroy).

With c), I struggle to understand why the WSRF approach is such a burden?  These are simple message exchanges, and the functionality they represent is very important to WS-BaseN.  We *could* duplicate these signatures, making it much more complicated for applications that use WSRF and WSN together (duplicate functionality).  This boils down to a trade-off here, duplicating functionality or reusing existing (or in this case with WSRF, emerging) standards.  I don't see the net benefit of duplication.

So, to your specific arguments, please see <sgg>comments</sgg>:

Pragmatic Arguments <sgg>I seriously doubt that GetResourceProperty message exchange and the two destroy operations add significant heft to Ws-BaseN.  I counter-argue that having duplicate message exchanges defined specifically in WS-BASEN increase its complexity (more message exchanges) and weaken the case for joint WSRF and WSN implementations (less reuse)</sgg> <sgg>Do you think WSRF is the most significant impediment to WS-E, Ws-BaseN reconciliation?  There are separate namespaces for the messages for one, that strike me as a bigger issue.  I have no doubt that it is possible to build Notification without WS-RF, however, I don't see the reason to duplicate the functionality when we have work underway to standardize that functionality.  Why should softstate lifetime management on my subscriptions, for example, be any different than the other resources I am trying to manage lifetime on?</sgg>

++++++++
Steve Graham
(919)254-0615 (T/L 444)
STSM, On Demand Architecture