wsn message

Hi David:
ok so lets examine a scenario.

The scenario is that the NP does not wish to particpate in scheduled termination (leasing, for whatever reason, is something it simply doesn't want to get involved with).  So, in this case, the NP will rely on some other means to destroy subscriptions, either the good graces of the subscribers to let the NP know when they are done, or some other means that results in the equivalent of the destroy message being processed on a subscription WS-Resource.

So, this would then boil down to the subscribe request including an initial termination time of xsi:nil (If the value is xsi:nil, then the intent of the service requestor is to specify there is no scheduled termination time for the WS-Resource.). This would be the only value of InitialTerminationTime that the NP would accept.  Any other value would cause the subscription request message to be rejected and a fault response generated.

Now, how the heck does the subscriber know to do this?  Darn good question.  Perhaps if we consider the following additional resourceProperty, we may have a solution?

- add the following to BaseN (resource Properties for the NP):
  <xsd:element name=”UsesScheduledTermination” type=”xsd:boolean”
                     minOccurs=”1” maxOccurs=”1” default="true" />

and the following normative text:
/wsnt:UsesScheduledTermination

Indicates if the NotificationProducer uses the ScheduledTermination time mechanism for subscription WS-Resource lifetime management. If the value of this resource property is "true", then the subscriber MUST include a time value for the InitialTerminationTime component in any Subscribe request message (xsi:nil is not accepted). If the value of this resource property is "false" then the only value of InitialTerminationTime that will be accepted on the Subscribe request is xsi:nil.

Some policy assertion or type-specific extension of the interface could indicate to the requestor the "other" mechanism of subscription resource management.

thoughts?

(btw, I am out of the office as of 05/24/04 and will not be back until 06/01/04).  I will weigh in on this email thread when I am back on line.

sgg
++++++++
Steve Graham
(919)254-0615 (T/L 444)