Subject: RE: [wsrf] Alternative GetAllResourceProperties proposal

At 05:19 PM 10/6/2004, Steve Graham wrote:

I am struggling to understand that the use cases are the same.  With SetResourceProperties, the idea was that the designer of the request would have access to the "right" level of granularity to set only those properties that were "settable" and that the requestor actually wished to set. It seems to me that with PutRPDoc, we are suggesting that there are a non-trivial set of situations wherein the entire set of properties is in fact "settable" and that requestors will normally want to set all of the properties at the same time.  Have you seen this as a situation that is perceived as "common" from WSDM?  It strikes me that the more common situation will be one in which several (often the majority) of a Ws-Resource's properties are read-only, therefore rendering the use of PutRPDoc to be marginal at best.

sgg

And suggestive of complex and messy fault semantics, in all the cases where the client is wrong/confused about what is
settable.

- David

++++++++
Steve Graham
(919)254-0615 (T/L 444)
STSM, On Demand Architecture
Member, IBM Academy of Technology
<Soli Deo Gloria/>
++++++++

"Sedukhin, Igor S" <Igor.Sedukhin@ca.com>

10/06/2004 04:42 PM
Steve Graham/Raleigh/IBM@IBMUS
cc
"Springer, Ian P." <ian.springer@hp.com>, <wsrf@lists.oasis-open.org>
Subject
RE: [wsrf] Alternative GetAllResourceProperties proposal

I guess the use case is the same as the use case for update of multiple properties. If I know that I'm updating all of them in a small record such as a cusomer record exposed as a WS endpoint. Why would I necessarily have to assemble the fairly intricate update multiple request instead of a simple put RP doc request?

-- Igor Sedukhin .. (igor.sedukhin@ca.com)
--
(631) 342-4325 .. 1 CA Plaza, Islandia, NY 11788