Subject: Revised outline for WS RF App Note

Disclaimer: Katy will be taking over ownership of this issue, as I am not funded to pursue it.

I've revised the WS-RF App Note outline originally sent out on Aug 6th, to include comments received from Ian and Tim Banks and to make it build on top of the WS-RF Primer.  The outline was written before we had consensus to develop the Primer, so there were some areas of duplication/ overlap which I have tried to eliminate.

I.  Introduction

The purpose of the App Note is to produce a non normative document that describes how to use the WS-RF family of specs.  In particular, I suggest the focus of the document be on three types of "how to use WS-RF specs" with appropriate examples:

1] Composing WS-RF specs with each other, e.g. WS-RP, WS-RL, and WS Service Groups (maybe WS Resource too)

2] How other WS specs might use the WS-RF specs, e.g. WS-Notification (modeling a subscription as a WS Resource), WSDM, WS-Portlets, others TBD

3] How new WS applications (with stateful resources) might use the WS-RF specs, e.g. modeling peripheral equipment/printers as WS-Resources, modeling other types of stateful resources behind a WS interface.

II.  Proposed Revised Outline for the WS-RF App Note document:

A.  High level overview of the WS-RF specs: WS-Resource, WS-RP, WS-RL, WS-BF, WS-SG, WS-Renewable References (when published)

(Only one or two paragraphs to describe each spec description)

B.  Definitions of various terms+: WS Resource, Implied Resource Pattern, Factory Pattern, Resource Lifetime, Renewable Resource, etc (suggest weextract information from the two whitepapers (The WS-Resource Framework and Modelling Stateful Resources with Web Services)

+ Ian suggests these be made normative.  Which WS-RF document should have a complete listing of definitions- the Primer?

C. Motivation: WS Applications/ Use Cases for the WS-RF specs

Potential applications for WS-RF specs include:  examples of Web Services that contain stateful resources behind the WS interface,  Grid Infrastructure layer (formerly known as OGSI- see OGSI Primer and OGSA Use Case document), WSDM specs use of WS-RF capabilities, Modeling remote portlets (WS-RP) as WS resources, modeling a subscription to a notification pattern as a WS resource (WS-Notification),  other WS specs that might make use of WSRF specs (TBD by the contributors- what about WS Security?)

D.  Composability Details

1.   How the individual WS RF specs compose, i.e. are used together (including any dependencies and interactions).  Which one's are used together (e.g. WS-Resource, WS-Resource Property and WS-RL) vs WS RF specs which might stand alone (e.g. WS Base Faults)

2.  How WS-RF specs could be used with WS-Notification specs (as per Peter Niblett's presentation to both TCs at f2f meeting)

3.  How WSDM specs (MUWS and MOWS) make use of WS-RF specs (input from WSDM TC would be appreciated).

4.  How WS Remote Portlets could be modeled as WS Resources and make use of WS-RF specs (which one's?)

E.  Clarification of the issues from the WSRF issues list that we feel are implementation dependent (and therefore non normative/ not subject to standardization).  This also includes best practices* and recommendations.  For example, possible interpretations of fault messages, potential recovery options, policy issues effecting any of the WS-RF specs

* We specifically stated that Issue WSRF48: Specify behavior of nillable properties was a candidate for the App Note/Primer. "This should be clarified or described as a best practice in the Primer, should we decide to write a Primer."

We will discuss next Wed at 10AM in detail

Alan Weissberger
NEC
1 408 863 6042 voice
1 408 863 6099 fax