wsrp-markup message

Subject: Markup Fragment rule for VXML

Hello Rex,

I tried to contact you on Russell's email address, but I did not get any
response. Thus, I had no chance to talk to Russell.
To get something moving for VXML, I will add some initial thoughts. I added
the official markup mailing list and hope it will work this time.

Fragment Rules for VXML

- A device supporting VXML needs considerable performance, to do the voice
recognition and the text to speech translations. With this processing power
in mind,
  it does not make sense to restrict the usage of the VXML language for
performance reasons. The performance necessary to drive  the VXML
interpreter will be small
  compared to the performance requirements of the other tasks.
 This would allow the usage of all VXML tags, which can be used between
<VXML> and </VXML>

- The voice navigation needed in the portal, e.g. to finish the call, to
leave the portlet, to return to the portal main menu has to be added to the
portlet output, since the portlet is coded
   without being aware which words are used for these commands, nor which
commands exist at all.
   There are 2 possibilities to add the navigation commands to the portlet
output:

      a.) by including them into each portlet document
      b.) by including a reference to a portal root document, which itself
holds the needed declarations

- Typical voice applications make use of an application root document
      Will we support this?

- VXML Browsers offer the possibility to isolate parts  of an VXML
application by putting this part into a VXML subdialog. Running the portlet
as a subdialog
  would give us this feature as well, and prevents the portlet to modify
the VXML behavior of the portal. I propose to use this feature.
  The portlets would then have to code a <return/> statement at their
ending point instead a <goto next="id dont know where to go"/>.
  The VXML interpreter implicitly would know where to go.

-

Mit freundlichen Grüßen /
                  Have a nice day

                    Walter Hänel
Pervasive Computing - Portal Development
Tel. +49-7031-164523
             Fax +49-7031-164888