wsrp-pfb message

Subject: RE: [wsrp-pfb] Groups - wsrp-pfb-uddi-tn-draft-02.doc uploaded

Title: RE: [wsrp-pfb] Groups - wsrp-pfb-uddi-tn-draft-02.doc uploaded
Alan,

Yes, I'm proposing using a bindingTemplate instead so that it is easier to publish portlets using tools & API that deal only with bindings. This means one would have two binding templates on one portlet service that must be used together ("binding" the portlet to its producer).

I too would prefer only one mechanism if possible and suggested we can at least re-use the same tModel. But that still means looking in two places (keyedReference and bindingTemplate) which would not be so terrible, however, we should discuss this further.

What I do think is important is to be able to allow for other kinds of portlet references to producers. I suggested changed some MUSTs to MAYs to allow for other types of keyedReferences and bindingTemplates to provide the referencing information and renamed WSRP_PRODUCER_REFERENCE to WSRP_PRODUCER_SERVICE_REFERENCE.

If all such alternative ways to name / locate the Portlet's producer could use a bindingTemplate or if all publishing tools would work well with category bags (and without the UDDI admin(s) having to take major steps in adding a category globally) then I agree we could just drop one of the mechanisms.

regards,
Andre
-----Original Message-----
From: Kropp, Alan [mailto:Alan.Kropp@vignette.com]
Sent: 15 January 2004 18:55
To: Andre Kramer; richard.jacob@de.ibm.com; wsrp-pfb@lists.oasis-open.org

Are you suggesting the portlet reference the Producer via bindingTemplate instead of by keyedReference?  Or are you allowing for flexibility of implementation?

I like the flexibility, but a concern which you also allude to is the difficulty in normalizing for query purposes.  Shouldn't we settle on one mechanism?

Alan