wsrp-pfb message

Subject: RE: [wsrp-pfb] [UDDI #4] WSRP_v1_Bindings tModel equals WSRP_Produc ertModel?

I will take this on as part of the model draft.

-----Original Message-----
From: Rich Thompson [mailto:richt2@us.ibm.com]
Sent: Friday, January 23, 2004 10:44 AM
To: wsrp-pfb@lists.oasis-open.org

I think the key to this discussion is deciding where to draw the line about what is the minimal required information when publishing. Sounds like we have a couple of groups:
A. Functionally required: This includes #2 and #3
B. Strong use cases presented: Depending on the point of view, this includes:
     #1 - By making it simple to find all Producers, we reduce mis-communication for users.
     #4 - By enabling straightforward queries for all hosted portlets, we enable viewing what a business relationship makes available.
     #5 - Through enabling queries for portlets supporting a particular version, we reduce instances of late error messages.

It sounds to me like the key question is what of the later three make it into the required set for the information model. I suspect this will end up being a TC decision and would therefore suggest we figure out the best way of presenting the reasoning why each could be important as well as any draw backs there might be in trying to realize them in a particular registry. I would think this would want to be presented earlier rather than later as it becomes foundational both to writing up the abstract information model and concretely mapping to the various registry specs. Anyone have the time available to draft/edit a short presentation or document for this purpose?

Rich

Andre Kramer <andre.kramer@eu.citrix.com>

01/23/2004 11:36 AM

wsrp-pfb@lists.oasis-open.org
cc
Subject
RE: [wsrp-pfb] [UDDI #4] WSRP_v1_Bindings tModel equals WSRP_Produc         ertModel?

That's a good summary.

I agree that #1 could be synthesised, but then:

"An Portal admin is told on the phone to register with a WSRP producer. She is unable to locate the producer in her Portal Admin UI which only shows < 2.0 versions."

"A Portal admin UI shows all the Producers the admin can't currently import in red. (Presume this is so that she will pay for an upgrade)".

However, we are still discussing other kinds of portlet to producer references (e.g. to another UDDI or an EJB Registry). Then #5 could be quite inconvenient (e.g. external network is down) if #2 and #4 need to be combined.

Not all registries need to support all 1 to 5 (different use cases for UDDI itself) so should we just allow optional optimization of such queries (e.g. using taxonomies/categories that we may not even define)? With #3 and #2 being the "must have" use cases we address? The question of needing other protocol bindings (e.g. supporting user single sign on) will cause this to happen anyway (as no one would want to parse wsdls when searching).

regards,
Andre