wsrp-primer message

Subject: [no subject]

HealthCareConcerns, ILLC., designs and builds specialized sites for
knowledge-base delivery clients, by integrating domain-specific
Portlets into Portals that service a range of information providers
from specific niche markets to more broadly based Heathcare market
segments, such a Home-based Elderly Care Products and Services or
Maternity-related products and services. It will use UDDI and ebXML
to publish its services and the services of its Portal clients and to
search for new Portlets, based on an initial profile it makes of its
specific clients.

While some of the expertise and knowledge I have developed over the
last several years can be used in this, it is not strictly an
instance of the proof of concept Public Healthcare Preparedness
Portal I am working on. However, I won't say that it doesn't also fit
into other plans I have, but I always try to make any project serve
more than a single purpose if I can.

This scenario also provides what I think is a decent range of the
kinds of Portals and Portlets WSRP can facilitate without either
relying on either well-used examples such as stock market/brokerages
or purchasing orders. Of all the previous scenarios the one I would
have chosen as both simple and fairly straight forward was the memory
configurator, but it has a couple of problems, mostly due to its
being a customization example, which is a bit ahead of 1.0.

Please let me know what you think. I am asking the markup committee,
too since this is probably where I will be asking for samples
regardless of which scenario we choose to follow through with for the
Tutorials.

Ciao,
Rex
--
Rex Brooks
W3Address: http://www.starbourne.com

--=20

Rex Brooks
W3Address: http://www.starbourne.com
Email: rexb@starbourne.com
Tel: 510-849-2309
Fax: By Request

--=_alternative 004F20C385256DCC_=

e.
I find that the criteria for a good example scenario are:</font>
desired functionality</font>
the example does not detract from understanding the functionality demonstra=
ted.</font>
's
attention while they hear about the functionality.</font>
three is never trivial. Easy traps to fall into include:</font>
side
of its domain never get their head around (and therefore miss what is being
demonstrated).</font>
that causes people to ignore what is being said.</font>
urrent
scenario falls into trap #2 while I am encouraging us to be careful for
trap #1 as well.</font>
use the scenario from the Whitepaper? It is both simple enough for people
to rapidly grasp and everyday enough for people to understand the value
of having some of the scenario being local (i.e. intra-company if not on
the portal server) and some remote. It demonstrates the value of the functi=
onality
without getting into the issues of &quot;aren't there better ways than
what you demoed in your portlets?&quot; that Rex is raising for the financi=
al
scenario. It also would tie the Primer to what we would consider the more
introductory material on WSRP, and in fact the Primer can refer back to
the White paper as providing such material.</font>
Rich</font>
tarbourne.com&gt;</b>
M@IBMUS,
wsrp-markup@lists.oasis-open.org, wsrp-primer@lists.oasis-open.org</font>
-primer]
A consistent use-case for primer</font></table>
a second scenario simply because it is more advanced. Nor do I have the
time and energy to put into attempting to persuade the group that this
is a significant enough issue to justify the extra work, but I will take
a last stab at it just in case I did not make a clear enough case. Further,
the reason why I think I was not clear enough is that I had only seen the
TV spots the previous evening. That is why I did not have a clear alternati=
ve
in mind--because I had not had enough time to absorb the implications the
TV ad presented in order to express my concerns more cogently. The article
Russell and I wrote (about which I informed you 10/17) stimulated the prese=
ntaton
opportunity which has occupied me much of this week, and my preoccupation
has delayed this absorption.</font>
is old and familiar so much as the fact that some aspects of the use case
are being superceded in the marketplace by products on which advertising
dollars are being spent on media buys in the national broadcast and cable
television markets.This investment is being spent specifically on &quot;str=
eaming&quot;
online stock market information.</font>
economy means that people working in those marketplaces (media and stock
markets) will be aware of it, as will IT firms which sell into those market=
s.</font>
be aware of it, nor that it will enter into their concerns, but that it
enter into the concerns of the IT decision makers on whether to set the
implementers to work using WSRP/JSR168.</font>
discuss their respective viewpoints is difficult to establish, and not
worth basing our decision solely on such an unfounded assumption. It is
even more difficult to guess if they include these kinds of discussions.
However, we need to understand the ramifications if they do. Would we consi=
der
implementing a standard that uses an primer example that is apparently
being superceded in the media marketplace by spending on media buys for
apparently newer and faster information delivery systems.</font>
and that is why I am not going to start any work on the basis of guessing
if my points persuade anyone, but continue working on what we have, not
on my suggestions. </font>
case to us, if we were my client, to use an example that does not run the
risk of being considered pass=E9 in the perceptions of<u> IT decision-maker=
s,
not implementers</u>, since, except in software engineering firms, it is
not usually the implementers who make these decisions.</font>
mpt
to make it somewhat more clear. It boils down to making our standard clearly
cutting edge in the perceptions of our marketplace--the IT decision-makers,
be they software engineers or software engineering company executives.</fon=
t>
to point out that we should consider modifying our example. I believe this,
due simply to the fact that we are starting with a web application within
our web services model, and I think implementers will conclude that our
standard is only for web applications in web services. I feel more confident
in saying this because I have worked with software engineers and software
engineering executives, and a more literal-minded group would be hard to
find. So, while I am not going to do more than leave the issue open, I
do think we better consider starting out with a portlet that just delivers
lists of stocks and prices, and maybe some analyst reports, and add the
application as the more advanced element later, since it requires actual
remote manipulation of the data, if the app doesn't live on the client
machines. (Which I would assume from the current scenario, that it does
not.)</font>
such an old example that people wonder what is new or useful here, it is
also true that a &nbsp;familiar base example keeps understanding the example
from distracting from what it is supposedly demonstrating. Perhaps a useful
middle ground is to use a familiar (even overly familiar) example for walki=
ng
through the interfaces and then double back for a &quot;More advance, real
world example&quot; in a section of its own. This provides a simple learning
ground and then walks the reader through the process of designing a realist=
ically
complicated scenario. Comments?<br>
Rich</font>
s-open.org</font>
Hi Folks,<br>
After our primer telecon yesterday, when I hastily withdrew my<br>
objection to using a stock brokerage/portfolio management example,<br>
for various reasons I don't want to belabor in this message, I got to<br>
thinking about it some more and decided I really don't think that it<br>
is a wise choice after all. I have been banging my head against all<br>
the older scenarios, and was reminded in most of them that there were<br>
problems here and there with most, as well as with my own current<br>
project, building a presentation of WSRP and CAP (Common Alerting<br>
Protocol) from the Emergency Management TC.<br>
One of my concerns was that it would be best to have one example<br>
follow through the tutorials we put into the primer, and that this<br>
example be used for demonstrating the publish, find, bind features in<br>
the Registration Interface, including use of both UDDI and ebXML, in<br>
keeping with our plan to offer real-world examples and code (examples<br>
and code that would work, that is, not the actual Portals or Services<br>
of the example). It must also fit with demonstrations of the Service<br>
Description Interface, Markup Interface and Portlet Management<br>
Interface, all of which it does.<br>
So, while going over the primer thus far and continuing to review the<br>
use cases and scenarios we have dealt with in the process of building<br>
WSRP 1.0 and moving now into issues for 1.1, I decided that I could<br>
offer an alternate example by adapting the &quot;Search UDDI...&quot; scena=
rio<br>
Andre worked up and which is available in the documents section of<br>
the WSRP webpages.<br>
However, before I actually include it in my edit of the current<br>
primer and start asking for assistance in building some sample<br>
portlets and a Portal Design exercise as part of the Markup<br>
Interface, I wanted to share this idea with you all and ask if it<br>
makes sense to you and if you would be willing to use it.<br>