Subject: Re: [wsrp-wsia] Issue #19 - Hints for InitEnvironment

If we add this piece of metadata about how entities could benefit from
sharing, would we also strengthen the meaning of groupID by requiring that
Producers use it to scope the sharing of data? I would prefer this as it
gives real semantics to including any concept of sharing in the protocol.
In addition, this would stop Consumer from having to clone registrations in
order to be able to control data sharing.

                      Andre Kramer
                      <andre.kramer@eu.        To:       wsrp-wsia@lists.oasis-open.org
                      citrix.com>              cc:
                                               Subject:  [wsrp-wsia] Issue #19 - Hints for InitEnvironment
                      10/07/2002 07:07
                      AM

Since I originally raised #19 and as I've not seen any follow on discussion
on our infamous initEnvironment()/groupID topic since last week's call, I
would like to make more concrete a proposal made in the call's lengthy
groupID discussion.

7.1.1. states: "Since Consumers will not know what entities could benefit
from any Producer mediated data sharing, they SHOULD place all entities
from a Producer within a single group until a reason is identified for
specifying a separate groupID".

I agree this is enough to support JSR168 application/shared session scopes
by providing each user with a separate (i.e. one) load balanced environment
via the groupID argument to initEnvironment(). However, an extra hint from
the producer is required in order to load balance a user's Portlets across
multiple JSR168/Web Applications and nodes:

(Proposal) A producer could include a "String preferredGroupID" (as an
optional hint) in an EntityDescription element (or possibly in the
EntityType meta data). Consumers could then discover this extra performance
related meta data using getEntityDescription() and use it for the groupID
in initEnvironment(), as described in 7.4. I believe they are not required
to do so, but I would still say "SHOULD" rather than "CAN", which is why
this may be more than just a "vendor" extension for JSR168.

Hope this helps us further the discussion,

Andre