Subject: RE: [wsrp-wsia] Issue #19 - Hints for InitEnvironment

Good practical reason, Rex. Provide some structure in anticipation.

-----Original Message-----
From: Rex Brooks [mailto:rexb@starbourne.com]
Sent: Monday, October 07, 2002 9:35 AM
To: Rich Thompson; wsrp-wsia@lists.oasis-open.org

I agree with Rich on this. I have a very basic and fundament reason for
this.

I think that between the release of this spec and the next version
Producers will develop some mechanism on their own to deal with this.
While I usually say that we should just let these things play out,
that is usually my opinion in regard to matters on the Consumer side,
where the mountains of application work will be done. On the Producer
side, however, it is a different matter. If we allow dozens or more
of different mechanisms to sprout up to deal with groupings of
portlets to given entities, we will be asking for trouble down the
road.

Ciao,
Rex

At 11:03 AM -0400 10/7/02, Rich Thompson wrote:
>If we add this piece of metadata about how entities could benefit from
>sharing, would we also strengthen the meaning of groupID by requiring
that
>Producers use it to scope the sharing of data? I would prefer this as
it
>gives real semantics to including any concept of sharing in the
protocol.
>In addition, this would stop Consumer from having to clone
registrations in
>order to be able to control data sharing.
>

>                       Andre
>Kramer

>                       <andre.kramer@eu.        To:
>wsrp-wsia@lists.oasis-open.org
>                       citrix.com>
>cc:
>                                                Subject:  [wsrp-wsia]
>Issue #19 - Hints for InitEnvironment
>                       10/07/2002
>07:07

>AM

>Since I originally raised #19 and as I've not seen any follow on
discussion
>on our infamous initEnvironment()/groupID topic since last week's call,
>would like to make more concrete a proposal made in the call's lengthy
>groupID discussion.
>
>7.1.1. states: "Since Consumers will not know what entities could
benefit
>from any Producer mediated data sharing, they SHOULD place all entities
>from a Producer within a single group until a reason is identified for
>specifying a separate groupID".
>
>I agree this is enough to support JSR168 application/shared session
scopes
>by providing each user with a separate (i.e. one) load balanced
environment
>via the groupID argument to initEnvironment(). However, an extra hint
from
>the producer is required in order to load balance a user's Portlets
across
>multiple JSR168/Web Applications and nodes:
>
>(Proposal) A producer could include a "String preferredGroupID" (as an
>optional hint) in an EntityDescription element (or possibly in the
>EntityType meta data). Consumers could then discover this extra
performance
>related meta data using getEntityDescription() and use it for the
groupID
>in initEnvironment(), as described in 7.4. I believe they are not
required
>to do so, but I would still say "SHOULD" rather than "CAN", which is
why
>this may be more than just a "vendor" extension for JSR168.
>
>Hope this helps us further the discussion,
>
>Andre

Rex Brooks
Starbourne Communications Design
1361-A Addison, Berkeley, CA 94702 *510-849-2309