Subject: RE: [wsrp-wsia] [I#106] Uniqueness of entityHandles

I would also tend to think that cloneEntity should make sense only for
persistent entities - it's unnatural to require Producers to be able to
replicate their runtime state.

Eilon

-----Original Message-----
From: Michael Freedman [mailto:Michael.Freedman@oracle.com]
Sent: Wednesday, October 09, 2002 1:47 PM
To: wsrp-wsia@lists.oasis-open.org

I believe that
   (a) entity handles MUST be unique -- I.e. an entity handle MUST only
refer to a single persistent state.
   (b) cloneEntity MUST be able to return an identical entity handle.

I believe (b) not for the reasons currently discussed -- for if these
were the only arguments I would agree with Rich that this is better
represented as an error condition.  Rather, I come to (b) reluctantly as
a consequence of our [ill-fated?] decision to merge entity handles and
session handles into refHandles.  In doing so, the point of cloneEntity
is no longer just to clone the persistent state of the entity.
cloneEntity also clones the runtime/session state.  In a world where it
seems perfectly reasonable to expect immutable entities that have
runtime state, cloneEntity MUST be capable of returning the same
entityHandle but a new/cloned refHandle for those consumers wanting to
preserve the runtime state on copy.

This leads to a further ugly observation that cloneEntity logically no
longer belongs in the optional Entity factor but rather in the required
core factor.  I.e. since refHandles aren't immutable and they come into
existence in our core factor they should be clonable in the core factor
(ala Gils observation for releaseRefHandle).

For me this is getting clumsy and confusing.  We may want to rethink our
approach to refHandles.
    -Mike-