Subject: RE: [wsrp-wsia] [I#105] Why no releaseRefHandle()?

Just a thought....in another development specification I participate in
they differentiate the entity/instance in this way:

Structure: Entity type
Instance: Entity

Entity and entity type are used.  This doesn't answer the question on
'session' however.

Monica

-----Original Message-----
From: Rex Brooks [mailto:rexb@starbourne.com]
Sent: Wednesday, October 09, 2002 7:50 AM
To: Gil Tayar; wsrp-wsia@lists.oasis-open.org

The very last thing we can afford is any potential confusion about
our specification in an already crowded marketplace. I would prefer a
term that we could use and own that it would not be possible to
misconstrue or transpose between applications. Lacking that I think
we should use a prefix and ultraverbose naming convention a la
wsrp-wsia:serviceEntityReferenceHandle--that is an extreme and
not-serious example to illustrate a point.

We still have to sell this, and confusing terminology, or even
terminology which is likely to be confusing in practice probably
won't fly. That has always been the problem with Instance, Session,
et al. At some point, though, we will have to decide on something.
I'm just not sure what it should be. Would it be beyond the bounds to
simply invent something like: servsession?

Ciao,
Rex
At 3:05 PM +0200 10/9/02, Gil Tayar wrote:
>In case somebody doesn't want to implement it, they can always do an
"empty"
>implementation - just like in in the "initEnvironment" operation.
>
>I think the arguments for it being _in_ the markup are stronger.
Anybody
>object?
>
>Gil
>P.S. Having a thing implemented differently does not mean that a
>_conceptual_ model of this thing shouldn't be defined.

implementations
>will us it differently:
>  - OO-style => really a runtime instance of the entity with various
>instance variables
>  - Servlet-style => really a reference to the servlet + a reference to
>transient session
>
>Both of these are transient runtime refinements on the entity, but
neither
>instance nor session are accurate descriptions of both.
>
>My primary argument for releaseRefHandle()  being in the Markup factor
>derives from the operations that can return a refHandle are in that
factor.
>The arguments against are that it should be optional (& this is a
required
>factor) and that it is a lifecycle management operation rather than a
>markup oriented operation. I would be ok with it in either factor
though.

>                       Gil Tayar
>
>                       <Gil.Tayar@webcol        To:
>"'wsrp-wsia@lists.oasis-open.org'"
>                       lage.com>
><wsrp-wsia@lists.oasis-open.org>
>                                                cc:
>
>                       10/09/2002 08:26         Subject:  RE:
[wsrp-wsia]
>[I#105] Why no releaseRefHandle()?
>                       AM
>

>The operation is not really about managing entities. It is about
managing
>the
>yet-to-be-named-lets-see-if-we-can-live-without-a-name-for-it-and-which
-I-am

>-not-allowed-to-call-an-instance which is the runtime manifestation of
an
>entity, whose handle can be "by chance" a handle to an entity.
>
>As such, it has to be in the Markup interface, because that is the
_only_
>interface which deals with the
>yet-to-be-named-lets-see-if-we-can-live-without-a-name-for-it-and-which
-I-am

>-not-allowed-to-call-an-instance.
>
>To prove this: let's say I do not implement the Entity Management
>interface.
>Would I maybe want to implement the releaseRefHandle? The answer,
IMNSHO,
>is
>a resounding "Yes!" - I would like to enable the Consumer to tell me
when
>it's finished with my
>yet-to-be-named-lets-see-if-we-can-live-without-a-name-for-it-and-which
-I-am

>-not-allowed-to-call-an-instance.
>
>The other case (let's for a second assume I am able not to implement
the
>Markup interface) - if I do not implement Markup, but implement Entity
>Management. Would I need to implement releseRefHandle()? The answer,
>IMNSHO,
>is an emphatic "No!" - all my "release"-ment needs are resolved by
>releaseEntityHandle().
>
>Humorously yours,
>Gil

Rex Brooks
Starbourne Communications Design
1361-A Addison, Berkeley, CA 94702 *510-849-2309