Subject: Re: [wsrp-wsia] Issues agenda for 10/24

#48: We had a metadata field called isCloneable. I asked at the Sept F2F
whether this should be kept. The only comment was that this seemed like a
Producer rather than entity issue and that it was declared through whether
or not the Producer exposed the EntityManagement portType. This caused the
field to be deleted and this proposed resolution is just clearing my
initial reminder to raise the question.

#59: I have heard 2 reasons for this field:
  1) Standardized place for entities to declare types for payload
extensions they use (i.e. not used Producer-wide)
  2) Entities that are directly accessible via additional portTypes (not
shared across the Producer). While this may not be the normal portal
scenario, others have indicated an interest in making this information
available in a standardized format.

#62: This was capturing the F2F decision to head in the direction of the
proposal currently being refined. I am not averse to leaving it open if the
direction is still in question. Refining the details of the proposal should
be done on a more detailed level rather than dealing with multiple detailed
issues via this general one.

#65: This was a request for a presentation as part of synchronizing with
JSR168. We are opening issues as they occur relative to this synchronizing.

#85: The current language allows for exceptional issues causing the
Consumer to effectively throw away the refHandle. Are you proposing that
the MUST be downgraded to a STRONGLY RECOMMEND (I would object to less than
that)?

                      Michael Freedman
                      <Michael.Freedman@        To:       wsrp-wsia@lists.oasis-open.org
                      oracle.com>               cc:
                      10/23/2002 03:35
                      PM

I would like to discuss the following items more thoroughly before marking
them as resolved:

 (#48) Should an item state that it is cloneable?
      Can you refresh my memory and explain why this answer is No?

 (#59) Interface discovery
      Though an optional field, I still don't understand why its included
      at all.  The description says this is the URL for the WSDL
      description of this entity.  What is this?  Is this the producers
      WSDL that can describe this entity?  If so why isn't this a producer
      meta data field?
(#62) Entity Management
      Isn't this issue still open?  Isn't there a proposal on the table to
      add cloneOnWrite?
(#65) JSR Synchronization
      This is a general issue asking we synchronize with the JSR semantics.
      We should either keep this open of open N issues related to the JSR
      to keep track of this.
(#85) sessionID/expires MUST/MAY
      I am not sure we have the wording right yet.  Can you clarify the
      explicit wording we propose to use.  I am not happy with what I saw
      on a quick look through .8.  I.e. The way things are written now it
      appears that a consumer will not be in conformance with the spec if
      it chooses to discard the refHandle for a reason other than given in
      the spec.  I think a consumer needs the flexibility to manage its
      resources -- i.e. choose to drop a refHandle.

Rich Thompson wrote:
      This week's agenda is essentially a continuation of last week, though
      there
      are a different set of issues moving to resolved unless objections
      are
      raised.

      1. Issues moving from tentative resolution to resolved (for
      information
      only):
       (#12) Splitting getEntityDescription for different handles
           - done as per Sept. F2F
       (#13) Splitting getEntityDescription into functions with explicit
      return
      types
           - done as per Sept. F2F
       (#15) Enabling cloneEntities on producers that do not need
      registration
           - withdrawn
       (#17) Defining whether initEnvironment is supported via metadata
           - initEnvironment() is in Markup factor with Producer metadata
      declaring need for usage - as per Sept. F2F decision
       (#20) Is entityState (a persistent state) necessary for v1?
           - Yes. It is required for Consumer-stored entity state
       (#22) What is the rationale behind returning successfully released
      handles?
           - releaseHandles was split into two operations, both which
      return
      either void or a fault
       (#32) Do property operations need to be included in base?
           - Yes. The Sept F2F declared that persistent properties for
      entity
      configuration are to be included in v1.0.
       (#48) Should an item state that it is cloneable?
           - No entity metadata in v1.0 regarding whether it can be cloned
      …
      Producer managed area.
       (#49) Problem in the the use of multiple description records that
      derive
      from each other
           - getDescription was split into two functions. See Issue #12 and
      Issue
       (#54) WSRP session to consumer – end user session
           - Gil's proposal accepted - Specify “WSRP session between
      consumer and
      producer maps to end user session of the consumer” – what end user
      session
      means depends on the consumer.
       (#55) Shall we have a registerConsumer operation in the 1.0 spec or
      out of
      band ?
           - While out of band is allowed, in band registration for v1.0
      was
      decided by the Sept. F2F to be included
       (#58) Should only POEs be published, only service or both
           - Remove UDDI definitions from spec, focus initial efforts on
      the
      information model that should be published to a directory for a
      Producer.
       (#59) Interface discovery
           - Sept F2F retained wsdl field. If information was gathered
      prior to
      calling
      getServiceDescription() [ by using out of band mechanisms], it can be

      ignored.
       (#60) Presentation on WS-Security
           - A presentation did in fact occur in the September F2F
       (#61) Interface Factoring
           - Sept. F2F decided to factor the interface using 4 factors.
      V0.7
      reflects this factoring
       (#62) Entity Management
           - Process outlined in v0.7 based on September F2F decisions
       (#64) Preference management negotiation
           - All permutations were approved at Sept F2F. Persistent state
      only
      produced by entity. In the case of Consumer UI gathering property
      updates,
      the setEntityProperties() sets the entity's state regardless of where
      it is
      stored.
       (#65) JSR synchronization - request for presentation
           - A presentation was in fact…presented at the September F2F
       (#68) Do we need initenvironment ?
           - Yes. It is needed.
       (#76) Why is the fact that Consumer supports transcoding surfaced in
      the
      spec?
           - characterSetConversion removed from meta-data
       (#77) specific semantics of sendPublishedState
           - sendPublishedState removed from meta-data
       (#83) Is markupType a MIME type?
           - markupType MUST be a MIME type
       (#85) sessionID/expires MUST/MAY contradiction
           - Language updated ... Basically MUST with a couple of
      exceptions.
       (#87) Modes as navigation state vs. Modes as another state of the
      Entity
           - It was decided in the September F2F that Mode is a piece of
      state
      related to the Consumer's viewer, not the entity's state
       (#95) destroyEntities() & refHandles
           - Draft v0.7 does not allow refHandles to be passed to
      destroyEntities() as the semantics are to destroy the persistent
      entity,
      not a runtime refinement of it.
       (#103) In vendor extensibility "object any" should be an array
           - Captured in v0.8 ... actually change for interoperability
      reasons
      was to "Extension[] extensions where an Extension object just
      contains an
      <any/>

      2. (#92) Maximum size of a handle
       - Ongoing discussion, need to arrive at a conclusion ....

      3. (#96) Review well known URL parameter names
       - Draft v0.7 has (are other needed?):
          wsia:navigationalState - sets this for the entity
          wsia:mode - requests a mode change before invoking the entity
          wsia:windowState - requests a windowState change before invoking
      the
      entity
          wsia:urlType - describes how to process the activation of this
      url
          wsia:url - the url of a resource for when wsia:urlType=Resource
          wsia:token - the token for namespacing when
      wsia:urlType=NameSpace
          wsia:secureURL - specification that the rewritten url should use
      secure
      communications
          wsia:rewriteResource - flag indicating whether the Consumer must
      parse
      the indicated url for url rewriting
          wsia:clientParameters - Producer url writing place to put
      arbitrary
      clientParameter list
          wsia:refHandle - Producer url writing place to place refHandle
      for the
      resulting invocation.

      4. (#18) Mandating the use of initEnvironment if Producer needs it
       - Draft v0.7 has the following in the description of
      initEnvironment: "If
      the Producer's metadata has set the doInitEnvironment flag to true,
      then
      the Consumer MUST invoke initEnvironment() once for the groupID prior
      invoking getMarkup() for this End-User for any entity using the same
      groupID."

      5. (#42) Why does consumer need to tell producer which extended
      attributes
      it supports?
       - Do we need to add explicit verbiage to the effect that a
      producer/entity
      may tailor its requested items (e.g. userProfileItems) based on the
      information the Consumer supplies at registration time?

      6. (#45) Signaling state change in InteractionResponse
       - The description of navigationalState tries to capture that a null
      return
      value means continue using the old value. Is the wording clear? Same
      verbiage needed for entityState? How does this interact with
      interoperability issues with using nillable?

      7. (#51) Define a naming scheme how WSRP binding tModel are named
       - Proposal from email list is
      "SPEC_VERSION_FACTOR_WSDLTYPE_TYPESPECIFIC"
      which would lead to names like "WSRP_v1_Markup_Binding_SOAP".

      8. (#93) Payload extensibility mechanism
       - The F2F decided to explore using <any/> for this as it is the
      natural
      mechanism in a schema based system and provides for backward
      compatibility
      for future versions. On the technical level, has this worked? On the
      philosophical level, is it still the way we want to proceed?

      9.  (#97) Caching mechanism
       - Draft v0.7 has timeout and coarse scale keys defined for caching
      mechanism. This does not include the ability to invalidate other
      markup
      from the same Producer. Introducing InvalidationKeys could add this
      feature. Do we want to include this in v1.0? Follow-on the discussion
      of
      ValidationKeys vs InvalidationKeys.