Subject: [wsrp-wsia] WSRP proposed changes to better support JSR 168

Folks,
   Attached is a document put together by the JSR 168 Expert Group that
details the suggested changes we are requesting WSRP make/consider.  The
document tries to explain the desired function as well as provides
concrete proposals for representing this function in WSRP.  As the first
focus of the WSRP F2F next week is to discuss JSR 168 related issues
please try and familiarize yourself with this information prior to
Monday.  We will work from this document during these discussions.
     -Mike-
Title: WSRP modifications for JSR 168
The following is a proposal submitted by the JSR 168 Expert Group for modifications it would like to see WSRP make to facilitate carrying JSR 168 semantics in the remote case.  The modifications are segmented into three sections.  The first section defines semantics that WSRP must accomodate if JSR 168 is to use the WSRP protocol to support remote JSR 168 portlet containers/portlets.  The second section defines semantics that could otherwise be carried via the WSRP extensions mechanism but the JSR 168 expert group finds real value in having them carried explicitly.  The third section contains recommendations for WSRP mechanisms to make it easier to implement JSR 168 containers, make it easier for such implementations to fully interoperate, or allow for more scalable and higher performing implementations.

Section 1: JSR 168 requires support for the following

Section 2: JSR 168 requested support

As stated in the summary, the following define information JSR 168 requires be delivered via WSRP however because of WSRPs extensibility system need not be carried explicitly.  I.e. they can be carried as extensions.  We prefer these be adopted/voted on as a whole vs. piecemeal as there is only value to us if all are carried explicitly [because we don't have to define "standard" extensions].

Section 3: JSR 168 recommended changes.

This section contains a list of requested changes that we believe will make it easier to implement JSR 168 containers, make it easier for such implementations to fully interoperate, or allow for more scalable and higher performing implementations.  These requests follow in the same spirit as the currently proposed groupID semantics.  If they don't exist in JSR 168, JSR 168 can still be implemented (without extensions) but there will be a greater likelyhood that one or more of the above benefits will be lost.  Because these are recommendations we ask they not be considered/voted as a group.  Rather, we ask they be discussed and voted upon on
their individual merit.