Subject: Re: [wsrp-wsia] Roles

Rich,

Are you suggesting to drop the predefined roles from the spec?

Alejandro

Rich Thompson wrote:

This mapping works reasonably in a J2EE environment because the granularity
of role definitions doesn't vary too dramatically. As a web service spec,
WSRP had better worry about cross platform issues as well. As soon as one
moves out of the J2EE world, the chances that the granularity of role
definitions is close drops precipitously.

Rex suggested the role fields could just be optional ... they are, but what
this means for a Consumer that doesn't use roles and wants to use the
maximum number of Producers is pretending they support the spec defined
roles (e.g. mapping whatever internal access control mechanisms are in use
to the spec defined roles) and trying to map these onto the Producer
published roles. I assert this will fail miserably more than it will
succeed.

                      Andre Kramer
                      <andre.kramer@eu.        To:       wsrp-wsia@lists.oasis-open.org
                      citrix.com>              cc:
                      11/26/2002 08:48
                      AM

J2EE also has the concept of role mapping in that a developer can write her
application in terms of her usual set of roles. The deployer of the
application can then map those roles, at deployment time, using a
relatively
simple XML role reference description mechanism. I view wsrp consumer roles
as the analogue of the J2EE developer's role set, the consumer Portal admin
as the analogue of the application deployer (at service registration time),
and the role names on the wire as the J2EE container roles. So, we
potentially have two similar mappings of roles: consumer to producer and
JSR
168 Portlet to J2EE Container? Each requiring human intervention.

regards,
Andre