Subject: Re: [wsrp-wsia] [change request #141] Add previous window state andmode

I don't understand the complication which causes you to choose your
design.  Why isn't handling previousMode/WS the same as handling current
mode/WS by the consumer?  It doesn't seem to add any burden/work beyond
what we have already defined.  Plus it has the advantage of greater
cacheability -- if the producer must encode this information in the
navigational state then havign different previous states in the
Navigational State would cause cache misses even though the rest of the
MarkupParams is identical.  By having the consumer manage/pass this
information in the RuntimeContext the previous state doesn't impact
caching.  My final argument for the JSR approach vs. your is simplicity
to the portlet developer.  In your design the portlet developer [that
encodes this info in its NavState] must choose between the previous
State passed by the consumer [if non-null] or one it carries in its
navigational state.  This seems a little clumsy and could be
misunderstood by the developers.  To have one place to get the previous
state from seems easier/more straightforward for the developer [ala
getting the current mode/WS].
      -Mike-
     -Mike-