Subject: [wsrp-wsia] [change request #143] Properly encode '&' in examples andBNF

Document: Spec
Section:  10.2.1 and 10.2.2
Page/Line: 58/15 and 61/24
Requested by: Mike Freedman
Old text:
wsrp-rewrite?wsrp-urlType=value&name1=value1&name2=value2.../wsrp-rewrite

New text: wsrp-rewrite?wsrp-urlType&name1=value1&name2=value2
.../wsrp-rewrite

Reasoning: If the content containing the wsrp-rewrite is XML them the use
of & makes its on invalid document.  Rather the & must be expressed as
&  We should just make this form the standard use rather then
supporting both flavors as supporting both has a negative impact on the
implementation/performance of the consumer rewrite code -- something that
needs to stay as efficient as possible.  Note: we should also change the
producer template URL to use & as we don't know the content the
producer will produce.  Finally, we should chaneg the BNF. FYI ... what
follows is a brief paragraph from the XHTML spec explaining the above
problem:

C.12. Using Ampersands in Attribute Values (and Elsewhere)
In both SGML and XML, the ampersand character ("&") declares the beginning
of an entity reference (e.g., ® for the registered trademark symbol
"®"). Unfortunately, many HTML user agents have silently ignored incorrect
usage of the ampersand character in HTML documents - treating ampersands
that do not look like entity references as literal ampersands. XML-based
user agents will not tolerate this incorrect usage, and any document that
uses an ampersand incorrectly will not be "valid", and consequently will
not conform to this specification. In order to ensure that documents are
compatible with historical HTML user agents and XML-based user agents,
ampersands used in a document that are to be treated as literal characters
must be expressed themselves as an entity reference (e.g. "&"). For
example, when the href attribute of the a element refers to a CGI script
that takes parameters, it must be expressed as
http://my.site.dom/cgi-bin/myscript.pl?class=guest&name=user rather
than as http://my.site.dom/cgi-bin/myscript.pl?class=guest&name=user.